Avon Road Riders Whitelining

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My Egli's developed a tendancy to follow the road markings (I know it as whitelining). I've only ever had this on shaft drive bikes before. I'm running on Avon Roadriders with about 1000 miles of wear. Has anyone else noticed this with Roadriders?

I have also recently replaced all wheel bearings and swinging arm bearings, but they seem ok, as does wheel alignment and tyre pressures... 30 front 32 rear as recommended by Avon Tech Dept.

Any suggestions?:confused:

H

vince998

VOC Member
Hi howard,
I get the same on my SM/roadrunner combination at this time of year.
The pressures you have mentioned are great for solo scratching in summer. After 5-10 miles (during which time the ride is probably a bit "squishy"), your tyre pressures will be up by 2-4 psi due to heat in the tyres.(Ask the classic racers without tyre warmers about this. this is why they all need a "warm up" lap)
This time of year, you´ll only manage to get sufficient heat into the tyres through really hard riding, so try putting another 2-4 psi into the tyres when cold.
Solo i ride 32 front, 36 rear
loaded with baggage, 34 psi front, 38 rear.
pillion + baggage 34-36 front, 40 - 42 psi rear.
The SM on the rear tends to "white line" after a couple of thousand miles irrespective of pressure anyway. They´re almost square when new!!! :)

Howard

VOC Member
Hi howard,
I get the same on my SM/roadrunner combination at this time of year.
The pressures you have mentioned are great for solo scratching in summer. After 5-10 miles (during which time the ride is probably a bit "squishy"), your tyre pressures will be up by 2-4 psi due to heat in the tyres.(Ask the classic racers without tyre warmers about this. this is why they all need a "warm up" lap)
This time of year, you´ll only manage to get sufficient heat into the tyres through really hard riding, so try putting another 2-4 psi into the tyres when cold.
Solo i ride 32 front, 36 rear
loaded with baggage, 34 psi front, 38 rear.
pillion + baggage 34-36 front, 40 - 42 psi rear.
The SM on the rear tends to "white line" after a couple of thousand miles irrespective of pressure anyway. They´re almost square when new!!! :)

Thanks, that's interesting. It does feel as though the tyres are under pressure, and it does feel more noticeable when I've been a good boy and kept to speed limits. I'll increase the pressures a bit and report back.

H

b'knighted

VOC Member
Slicks are used for extra grip at speed, so that sounds like a good excuse for not having any tread.
If we have decided that extra speed makes extra safety should we discard lights and front brakes, Lightning style? With the imminent removal of MoT testing the possibilities are endless.