Avon (Cooper tire) to be bought by Goodyear

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
That could be very bad news, if the 300-20 doesn't turn in a profit, but also don't forget the 3.50-19 and the more modern 19inch rear tyres Avon produce, as far as I can see there little else available for a 19inch rear rim.

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Eric on the Forum, Showed us a photo of His front tyre,
" Heidenau " Ribbed 19" I think ?,
Looked good to me, I think a Vincent steers nice with a Ribbed Front,
Not sure if they can be bought in UK.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Oh my, this could explain things. I have Avon AM26s on my Shadow, my 1966 Triumph Trophy 650, and my 1972 Triumph Daytona 500. I like the way the bikes feel and handle with these. Late last year I started to recommission another '70s Triumph Daytona 500 I have had for quite some time. I went to buy AM26s in 3.25x19 for the front and 4.00x18 for the rear, none were to be had anywhere. I even went looking for the close metric equivalents, but couldn't find any in stock. I finally settled for a set of Michelin Pilot Activs, to keep moving forward. With a few more Triumphs in need of new rubber this could be a bit of a problem.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
AM26 3.25x19" currently available in UK (sorry I know you are in USA ClassicBiker):

Speedmaster ribber 3.00x20" also currently available in UK:

Thats now, as for the future - who knows.

Simon

G

Graham Smith

And if you ever go to a pub quiz (I don't), and the question comes up - who is the biggest manufacturer of tyres in the world?

Don't Google it - that's cheating.