• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Avon (Cooper tire) to be bought by Goodyear

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
That could be very bad news, if the 300-20 doesn't turn in a profit, but also don't forget the 3.50-19 and the more modern 19inch rear tyres Avon produce, as far as I can see there little else available for a 19inch rear rim.

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Eric on the Forum, Showed us a photo of His front tyre,
" Heidenau " Ribbed 19" I think ?,
Looked good to me, I think a Vincent steers nice with a Ribbed Front,
Not sure if they can be bought in UK.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Oh my, this could explain things. I have Avon AM26s on my Shadow, my 1966 Triumph Trophy 650, and my 1972 Triumph Daytona 500. I like the way the bikes feel and handle with these. Late last year I started to recommission another '70s Triumph Daytona 500 I have had for quite some time. I went to buy AM26s in 3.25x19 for the front and 4.00x18 for the rear, none were to be had anywhere. I even went looking for the close metric equivalents, but couldn't find any in stock. I finally settled for a set of Michelin Pilot Activs, to keep moving forward. With a few more Triumphs in need of new rubber this could be a bit of a problem.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
AM26 3.25x19" currently available in UK (sorry I know you are in USA ClassicBiker):

Speedmaster ribber 3.00x20" also currently available in UK:

Thats now, as for the future - who knows.

Simon

Graham Smith

VOC Hon. Editor
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
And if you ever go to a pub quiz (I don't), and the question comes up - who is the biggest manufacturer of tyres in the world?

Don't Google it - that's cheating.

vibrac

VOC Member
The way the market for 20" tires and other low volume tires works (I was told) is that a distributor with a lot of clout orders a batch from the manufacturer and then sells them at a hansom profit which is why there are ripples of panic when people find that tire is not advertised on Avons/coopers web site however if you look at the distributors site and there they are.
So my guess is we need to keep an eye on are the tire moulds, thats where the key to further production is, there are plenty of low volume tyre manufacturers around their quality is another thing.
What did I say earlier in the week? Avon still sponsors the Landsdowne race series......

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
And if you ever go to a pub quiz (I don't), and the question comes up - who is the biggest manufacturer of tyres in the world?

Don't Google it - that's cheating.
I heard this question on a TV quiz last year and they claimed the answer was Lego. The question asked tyres, not specifically vehicle tyres.
No I didn't Google it, but I will do now just to check.

Latest Forum Threads

List of Forum Categories

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?