Autumn comes

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
With also a modified Vincent Speet brake as I do. the original set up with double cables was a pain in the proverbial now it is back to (original) Vincent set up much simpler.
bananaman.

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Eric, Forgive me for not understanding, are you saying the Speet Brake works best the way Vincent designed it, or better with the original balance beam in use?

erik

VOC Member
To my mind there should be no difference because the most brake design is the same. The Speet design gives you a stiffer feeling on your brakelever.You have not the weakness of the balance beam .But I feel very comfortable with the modification and I like the balance beam. Erik

oexing

VOC Member
Not my idea, if you think about me,Vic. I am busy with own design as a workaround to some flaws of the original hubs with spoke flanges, drums , all bolted up at a pretty small diameter of 5 or 10 bolts.

Vic

erik

VOC Member
On the right side it is a straight job.

Attachments

• 398.JPG
    398.JPG
    284.4 KB · Views: 42

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Winter draws on...
Soon be time to go down to my agricultural merchants and buy some Aspen Petrol
Wow, that is one expensive way to buy fuel, how much do you keep in the tank and do you use it when spring arrives, or store it for next winter.

I have never had the head off my Comet, and it has good compression and does not burn oil, so I am a bit reluctant to disturb things. I have always run genuine leaded 4 Star petrol that I have been fortunate enough to purchase locally from Platt's Garage in Marlow, it is fairly expensive, but nothing compared to Aspen. But then sometime earlier this year the pump attendant (no self service allowed there) dropped the bombshell that what I was actually getting was the same fuel as all the other unleaded pumps, but just with the lead added by the delivery driver as he fills up the tanks, so I maybe getting the lead, but also the ethanol, which I definitely don't want. I should say that I do not know whether or not I have hard valve seats fitted, I was not told either way when I purchased it.

So now it gets interesting, to me anyway, I can go just down the road to the nearest Esso filling station and fill up with Esso Synergy Supreme + 99, which although it has E5 on the pump, on the official Esso website, they say it does not contain any ethanol whatsoever, zilch, nothing, now that is good news to me, but what about the lead I hear you say, well forget about all that crap that they try to sell you, Castrol Valvemaster and a myriad of other junk from other manufacturers, all containing additives like potassium and other such stuff that you don't want, what I want is good old Tetra Ethyl Lead, and bizarrely enough, I can have it, I can have 99 octane leaded fuel, with zero ethanol in 2021.

So to achieve this I buy TetraBoost E-Guard 15, you simply add a measured amount into your petrol and away you go, it actually raises the octane rating by a couple of points also, so it really is like going back to the good old days, but am I being irresponsible?