Autumn comes

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
It is conflicting information Bill, the official Esso website clearly states that Esso Synergy Supreme 99+ is free from any ethanol, but they are duty bound to put an E5 sticker on the pump, and the blurb states "up to 5% ethanol" I suppose that could mean from 0-5%, daft isn't, but some areas of the country does have ethanol in this grade of fuel, Devon. Cornwall, Wales, North England and Scotland, serves them right I say, that is their punishment for living in such beautiful places.
I've been testing fuel for Ethanol content and found that it varies widely. The sticker on the pump is not always correct, nor is the official company website.
I have also made several same day power tests and found a large repeatable variation in power levels with different products.
Switching from the highest power gasoline to the lowest gives the same effect as adding 160 pounds to the bike.

Glen

Last edited:

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
I've been testing fuel for Ethanol content and found that it varies widely. The sticker on the pump is not always correct, nor is the official company website.
I have also made several same day power tests and found a large repeatable variation in power levels with different products.
Switching from the highest power gasoline to the lowest gives the same effect as adding 160 pounds to the bike.

Glen
160pounds: What´s her name?

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member

Glen
Glen, I am surprised that the most powerful gasoline is so much heavier than low grade gas. What are they putting in it, heavy metals maybe?

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Thinking about it, I must have gotten some very old leaded gas from the 70s. That would account for the weight.
Nevermind....
:)
Glen

timetraveller

VOC Member
Just a thought chaps from a non-chemist, so treat this with care. I imagine that the more alcohol the lower the density and weight, Vice versa more 'petrol' more density equals more weight. When burning a higher density (specific gravity) fuel then the more energy can be extracted. Can it be as simple as that?

vibrac

VOC Member
Just a thought chaps from a non-chemist, so treat this with care. I imagine that the more alcohol the lower the density and weight, Vice versa more 'petrol' more density equals more weight. When burning a higher density (specific gravity) fuel then the more energy can be extracted. Can it be as simple as that?
I always thought that (and this is Methanol experience) that alcohol has not the power of petrol, (what has?) but it gives a cooler charge and so admits more to the combustion chamber but I suppose at 10% that effect is not happening so we have the worst of both worlds.
If it were not being stopped by the oil companies and oil exporters it would be interesting to see what power we would get from synthetic fuel made from renewable energy (sunlight) and CO2 but the powers that be have not gone down that route are keeping it under wraps and expect us all to drive around in superannuated milk floats at god knows what extra CO2 output created by the new designs ,scrapping of servicable vehicles and vast electric infrastructure and public transport installations.

erik

VOC Member
Last sunbeams at 4 pm in the steep valleys.

Attachments

• IMG_7423[1].JPG
    IMG_7423[1].JPG
    547.3 KB · Views: 24