Misc: Everything Else Auto electricians

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You need to specify what you want winkers.power socket,extra lights,etc it's all been done by the guys here many times

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
There is a school of thought that soldered connections should never be used on a machine that produces generous amounts of vibration. So the crimp method is used instead.
A hot rod builder friend puts both methods together. He crimps then solders each connection.
These are crimp type connectors to which, after crimping, he adds a drop of solder for security.
I like his method and have adopted it. It seems to offer the best of both worlds and is not at all difficult to do.
In the past I've used various types of pliers for the crimp.
The quality of my work improved dramatically after purchasing a proper electrical crimp tool.

Glen

Last edited:

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I need to make some fairly significant improvements and additions to the loom on my Comet, and as I'm no auto electrician wondered if there are any recommendations for someone in my area Rutland, Cambs, Lincs, Leics? A mobile fellow would be the ideal, but I can travel with the bike if necessary, however it is an outfit and so doesn't work for all workshops.
I did try a search as I'm sure I've seen someone mentioned in the past, but it didn't throw anything up......
Many thanks,
Tim
Hi Tim,

tell us i bit about the bike and one of us will send you an applicable wiring diagram.

What sort of ignition system are you using
What sort of charging system?
Do you have or want traffic indicators?
What sort of horn do you have or plan on

in the meantime for background I have attached a copy of the original 1950's wiring diagram and the specifications for the original loom but I do NOT suggest you try replicating that!

Attachments

• wire diagram ORIGINAL 001.pdf
    42 KB · Views: 11
  • wire loom 001.pdf
    32.6 KB · Views: 10

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
There is a school of thought that soldered connections should never be used on a machine that produces generous amounts of vibration. So the crimp method is used instead.
A hot rod builder friend puts both methods together. He crimps then solders each connection.
These are crimp type connectors to which, after crimping, he adds a drop of solder for security.
I like his method and have adopted it. It seems to offer the best of both worlds and is not at all difficult to do.
In the past I've used various types of pliers for the crimp.
The quality of my work improved dramatically after purchasing a proper electrical crimp tool.

Glen
Glen raises a good point. The trick if soldering and crimping is to only solder the crimp at the end of the wire. If the solder extends too far outbye of the crimp it creates a stiff point that stops the copper wire ability to flex. Vibration can cause a fracture at that point.

timell

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Tim,

tell us i bit about the bike and one of us will send you an applicable wiring diagram.

What sort of ignition system are you using
What sort of charging system?
Do you have or want traffic indicators?
What sort of horn do you have or plan on

in the meantime for background I have attached a copy of the original 1950's wiring diagram and the specifications for the original loom but I do NOT suggest you try replicating that!

Hi Martyn,

Thanks for your offer!

It is electronic ignition, with an Alton and electric start and I do want indicators. Standard horn. The loom is currently very messy, and an interim fix. Lead acid 12v battery.

Cheers, Tim

timell

Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for the suggestions everybody, I'll put my thinking cap on and give it some thought, after studying a wiring diagram. Thanks Martyn.
Tim

Chris Launders

VOC Member
One suggestion is do one section of circuit at a time, on say an A4 sheet of paper with things in the appropriate position, so one with the charging circuit, one with the lighting circuit, one with the indicator circuit etc, so you don't get lost, then copy each "layer" on to a master drawing.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Hi Martyn,

Thanks for your offer!

It is electronic ignition, with an Alton and electric start and I do want indicators. Standard horn. The loom is currently very messy, and an interim fix. Lead acid 12v battery.

Cheers, Tim
exactly what make/model of electronic ignition?