• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Misc: Everything Else Auto electricians

timell

Website User
VOC Member
I need to make some fairly significant improvements and additions to the loom on my Comet, and as I'm no auto electrician wondered if there are any recommendations for someone in my area Rutland, Cambs, Lincs, Leics? A mobile fellow would be the ideal, but I can travel with the bike if necessary, however it is an outfit and so doesn't work for all workshops.
I did try a search as I'm sure I've seen someone mentioned in the past, but it didn't throw anything up......
Many thanks,
Tim

Dave61

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
I need to make some fairly significant improvements and additions to the loom on my Comet, and as I'm no auto electrician wondered if there are any recommendations for someone in my area Rutland, Cambs, Lincs, Leics? A mobile fellow would be the ideal, but I can travel with the bike if necessary, however it is an outfit and so doesn't work for all workshops.
I did try a search as I'm sure I've seen someone mentioned in the past, but it didn't throw anything up......
Many thanks,
Tim
Tim,
There is a chap called Ferret that advertises in bike mags & has been mentioned on the Forum.
He has a very good reputation for his work but from what I've read you should be sitting down when you get the quote.
Cheers
Dave

timell

Website User
VOC Member
Thanks for the replies and messages everyone. I'll give Ferret a call, but if anyone knows of someone closer to my location that might prove be helpful too?

peter holmes

VOC Member
Ferret is very good at what he does, but last time he visited me he wanted to take my Comet back to his workshop to do the work, I refused as I knew nothing about him or his workshop, he left in a bad mood as he said I had wasted his valuable time, previously he had worked on my Honda CB77 fitting indicators, super job he did to, but he was happy on that occasion to do that on my premises.

MartynG

VOC Member
Many thanks,
Tim
The ONLY way you become confident is by doing. Give it a go yourself and if it does not work out as you expected - do it again, Those who do no make mistakes never learn.

Just take it one circuit at a time " poco poco"

vibrac

VOC Member
Martyn is right you cannot get a more simple wiring set than a Vincent I found the answer for me was the ability to make reliable connectors its easy to practice get a small pencil flame tool some connectors, solder and make a few out of scrap wire also as a basis a new loom is available at last from Vincent Spares (VOCSC)

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Remember Jacqueline's HRD wiring diagram? One wire from mag to plug!

Rob H

VOC Member
You should try to do this yourself, at least try once
It is not complicated once you get into it, especially on a vincent which there are only a few wires.
All wires and connectors can be bought cheaply from Vehicle Wiring Products.

vibrac

VOC Member
You need to specify what you want winkers.power socket,extra lights,etc it's all been done by the guys here many times

Glenliman

VOC Member
There is a school of thought that soldered connections should never be used on a machine that produces generous amounts of vibration. So the crimp method is used instead.
A hot rod builder friend puts both methods together. He crimps then solders each connection.
These are crimp type connectors to which, after crimping, he adds a drop of solder for security.
I like his method and have adopted it. It seems to offer the best of both worlds and is not at all difficult to do.
In the past I've used various types of pliers for the crimp.
The quality of my work improved dramatically after purchasing a proper electrical crimp tool.

Glen

Last edited:

MartynG

VOC Member
Many thanks,
Tim
Hi Tim,

tell us i bit about the bike and one of us will send you an applicable wiring diagram.

What sort of ignition system are you using
What sort of charging system?
Do you have or want traffic indicators?
What sort of horn do you have or plan on

in the meantime for background I have attached a copy of the original 1950's wiring diagram and the specifications for the original loom but I do NOT suggest you try replicating that!

Attachments

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
There is a school of thought that soldered connections should never be used on a machine that produces generous amounts of vibration. So the crimp method is used instead.
A hot rod builder friend puts both methods together. He crimps then solders each connection.
These are crimp type connectors to which, after crimping, he adds a drop of solder for security.
I like his method and have adopted it. It seems to offer the best of both worlds and is not at all difficult to do.
In the past I've used various types of pliers for the crimp.
The quality of my work improved dramatically after purchasing a proper electrical crimp tool.

Glen
Glen raises a good point. The trick if soldering and crimping is to only solder the crimp at the end of the wire. If the solder extends too far outbye of the crimp it creates a stiff point that stops the copper wire ability to flex. Vibration can cause a fracture at that point.

timell

Website User
VOC Member
Hi Tim,

tell us i bit about the bike and one of us will send you an applicable wiring diagram.

What sort of ignition system are you using
What sort of charging system?
Do you have or want traffic indicators?
What sort of horn do you have or plan on

in the meantime for background I have attached a copy of the original 1950's wiring diagram and the specifications for the original loom but I do NOT suggest you try replicating that!
Hi Martyn,

Thanks for your offer!

It is electronic ignition, with an Alton and electric start and I do want indicators. Standard horn. The loom is currently very messy, and an interim fix. Lead acid 12v battery.

Cheers, Tim

timell

Website User
VOC Member
Thanks for the suggestions everybody, I'll put my thinking cap on and give it some thought, after studying a wiring diagram. Thanks Martyn.
Tim

Chris Launders

VOC Member
One suggestion is do one section of circuit at a time, on say an A4 sheet of paper with things in the appropriate position, so one with the charging circuit, one with the lighting circuit, one with the indicator circuit etc, so you don't get lost, then copy each "layer" on to a master drawing.

MartynG

VOC Member
Hi Martyn,

Thanks for your offer!

It is electronic ignition, with an Alton and electric start and I do want indicators. Standard horn. The loom is currently very messy, and an interim fix. Lead acid 12v battery.

Cheers, Tim
exactly what make/model of electronic ignition?

Latest Forum Posts

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?