ATD Springs

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I was just going to say is that Theory / Guessing ?,
We built a NEW Comet a few years ago and had Mag' trouble,
We were giver a Velo' one = Wrong way !,
And we were swopping mag's etc, And me being Lazy said, Lets just start it with the cover off !
No oil splash !, I admit it was just built,
In fact I was worried and asked Ron for a torch, To look right inside to see if the oil was getting to the right places, It was !, Maybe later after a run it would be different ?.

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
I doubt a clear cover would work for that, as when the engine starts oil is flung everywhere and the cover, almost instantly would be, "covered" over with oil.
Yes, I figured there would be that risk, but Bill suggests otherwise. I am about to change my mag for a twin points system so I think I will make a clear cover to clear up the confusion and observe the drive gear with no ATD attached ;)
It might start a new fad. Remember when we made clear ends for our Anal Monoblocs so that we could observe the floats? It didnt help with setting the float levels because we didnt know what they should have been, but they looked cool for as long as the perspex lasted.:)
Then a few years later, owners of Bevel Drive Ducatis took to fitting clear covers over their bevel drives so that they could count the missing bevel gear teeth. :D

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Yes, I figured there would be that risk, but Bill suggests otherwise. I am about to change my mag for a twin points system so I think I will make a clear cover to clear up the confusion and observe the drive gear with no ATD attached ;)
It might start a new fad. Remember when we made clear ends for our Anal Monoblocs so that we could observe the floats? It didnt help with setting the float levels because we didnt know what they should have been, but they looked cool for as long as the perspex lasted.:)
Then a few years later, owners of Bevel Drive Ducatis took to fitting clear covers over their bevel drives so that they could count the missing bevel gear teeth. :D
Freud would love that remark - ANAL Monoblocs.

A simple bowel obstruction? Years back when visiting a research farm I saw a sheep with a Perspex window grafted onto its side so the scientists could observe its guts as it fed. The ANAL monobloc brought back the memory!

Vinthou

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I believe your assumption is correct. So how can you increase the spring tension WITHOUT making any changes to the springs? Take a close look at the photo in my last post - the ATD is in the fully retarded position. What do you notice that's different to yours when in that position?
Yes, make the distance that the spring has to stretch greater - more tension. If I could solve the issue with stronger springs, it would be good. I'm not as mechanically adept as most of you - and not a welder!

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Yes, make the distance that the spring has to stretch greater - more tension. If I could solve the issue with stronger springs, it would be good. I'm not as mechanically adept as most of you - and not a welder!
You do not need to be a welder - you just need to know one

Bill Thomas

VOC Member

Mig welders are not a lot of money and so much FUN,
Youtube shows how to use, Takes a bit of time, But very handy.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Maybe make it stepped out a bit, So not in direct line of oil throw,
I think I would just leave the cover off for a few seconds, With plenty of rags ?.
Never liked the " Sight Glass " on K100 BMW for oil level, You have to wait for the oil to drain down,
And glass to clear.