ATD springs - replacing

Chris S

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have ordered some new ATD springs for my C Rapide. Can anyone confirm whether you can replace the springs in situ without the need to remove the ATD unit and therefore having to re-time the ignition. I think there is a risk of dropping the springs in the timing chest, but I will take my chances with that as long as it is physically possible to remove and replace the springs to the ATD unit whilst still installed.
Chris

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
G'day Chris,
Yes it is possible to replace them through the ATD cover aperture and yes there is a very real possibility of dropping them into the timing chest. However, thread some thin lock wire, fuse wire or fishing line through the old springs taking them out and the new springs putting them in and that will safeguard against that. Its fiddly though.

Phelps.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Just further information in case you don't tangle with Old Joe Lucas frequently. It should be possible to ease off the central retaining nut enough to slide off the "C" washer and its thin alloy retaining dish. The taper should hold as long as you don't unscrew as far as the extracting thread (presuming it still exists). If the "C" washer is dished, mutilated or bent, go to your local bolt man and get a more robust specimen that you can mill, hacksaw and/or file to make a replacement. Make sure the pins on the A.T.D. are stout, and the thing actually returns after opening. Good Luck! If the gear is white in colour it could be untrustworthy.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
We were playing with one the other day, And found if the points are open, There is too much drag, Which makes you think the ATD is not working right, So turn the engine round a bit, Cheers Bill.

Chris S

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the replies, I replaced the ATD springs today and using Phelps' tip, I threaded some thin lockwire into the spring before unhooking from the 2 mounting points. As you say, it is a bit fiddly, but not too bad. I "adapted" an old small screw driver by grinding a notch in the centre of the blade so I could hold the spring with the lockwire and push the spring hook with the screwdriver blade into it's location without trying to get my clumsy fingers in the restricted space available.
Chris