ET: Engine (Twin) ATD mounting bolt

Bobv07662

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Concerning the bolt that holds the ATD on to the mag...I would like to loosen it to gain access to the ATD springs. When I back it off will the ATD move on the mag shaft or is it pretty stuck on the taper? I'm hoping it's stuck on so the timing will not be disturbed.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
If you loosen it until it spins freely and no more, it won’t perform the self-extraction function and you can work on the springs. It is worth considering getting more practice at setting the timing in your shop, so that you can do it with ease under trying field conditions.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
There is a very real risk of dropping one of the springs INTO the interior of the timing case - so why not bite the bullet, remove the timing case outer so you can remove the ATD and then work on it on the bench - all safe.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I have changed them several times through the ATD cover. You can thread a fine wire down the middle of the spring and then remove it with some fine needle nose pliers. Do the same with the new spring. Never put one in the timing case yet!

Bobv07662

VOC Member
The bolt that holds the ATD onto the mag...is it RH or LH thread?
To Mr. Watson, I've read in the archives that Big Sid serviced the springs through the ATD cover.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Right hand thread, Don't be too rough because it's only a fibre pinion.
Get a friend to push the rear brake, With the engine in gear, To stop the engine turning,
Take the plug caps off in case the engine fires, With an old type mag'.

deejay499

VOC Member
If it is still stuck on the shaft after undoing the nut, loosen the three nuts that hold the mag and give the ATD a tap with a rubber mallet. If the nut gets hard when undoing, be aware that there is a left hand thread to remove the ATD bolt altogether. I have seen them stripped when people keep trying to undo it.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I know what you mean Dave, But I think it might confuse Bob.
Just undo the bolt as Normal , Anti clock !.
Sometimes a tap with the inside of your wrist helps ?? On the end of the spanner, Rather than a hammer ?
I think Bob only wants to undo it a bit for spring changing ?.

deejay499

VOC Member
I know what you mean Dave, But I think it might confuse Bob.
Just undo the bolt as Normal , Anti clock !.
Sometimes a tap with the inside of your wrist helps ?? On the end of the spanner, Rather than a hammer ?
I think Bob only wants to undo it a bit for spring changing ?.
Yes, Iagree Bill. Just trying to say that if it will not come off the taper, a little help may be needed but certainly not a hammer.