PR: Proprietary Items ATD Morse Taper

brian gains

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
rather depends on what you pump into the search field, one word searches usually illicit nothing and my three word search came up with nothing relevant.
from my original Q i was rather expecting a single number ex. No.1 morse taper, however i think the answer is 'it is not a standard morse taper size, refer to Machinery's Handbook for formulae'.
Thanks.

stu spalding

VOC Member
When I was looking for it I got the impression that asking 10 different Vincent owners got 15 different answers. I think I wound up with a gradient of 1 in something or other but I can't remember what. Cheers, Stu.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
It is definitely not a morse taper as that is 1 in 20. What I did with my old BTH mag/dyno with a mullered shaft and the keyway was unusable so cut the end thread taper & a bit more of the armature, using a fixed steady, faced it off, drilled and tapped. Turn up a new shaft screw it in with Loctite and a small roll pin, back into the fixed steady true up and centre drill, fix between centres, machine thread and then taper, taking care not to machine too much but keep checking taper with a good mag pinion hub, keep testing fit until it tends to stick with no wobble, tis just trial and error as if the cutting tool is too high or low this will vary the taper. Before the final fitting use fine grinding paste and lap briefly, this gives a good surface to tighten up on.
bananaman.

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
1 in 10 on diameter is that 1 in 5 on the taper? (which is what the search came up with)
I recall 1 in 10 on diameter. Pretty difficult to directly measure radius unless you're using something like a sine bar and measure off a riser block.
Could hold shaft on centres in lathe and use DTIs or digital read out.

clevtrev

VOC Member
I recall 1 in 10 on diameter. Pretty difficult to directly measure radius unless you're using something like a sine bar and measure off a riser block.
Could hold shaft on centres in lathe and use DTIs or digital read out.
Easy enough, use your method, with the DTI take the distance over a known length, idealy as far apart as possible, do the sums. The answer will most likely be 5.5 degrees. 11 inclusive.