From 1897

Attachments

• List (1).jpg
    List (1).jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 73

Mike 40M

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Long time ago, a Swedish cabinet minister of finance had both belt and braces. And a safety pin on his trouser pocket to keep his wallet secured. Though he kept income tax usually below 80%, in special cases 102%.

timetraveller

VOC Member
To me the list is fascinating. One of my friends owns a 1909 Douglas and has a copy of the 1910 booklet/handbook which came with the bikes in that year. This booklet is full of recommendations from people who own the previous years model and have done thousands of miles on their bikes in the year over all sorts of roads, Welsh mountains etc. When one considers the state of the roads in those days, the type of riding gear and the type of suspension offered, then even with a cut down version of the list then these were hard men.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
One of the memorable quotations from "Tints and Hips" circa 1910 went something like this: "When carrying a passenger in a trailer it is advisable to shout "ARE YOU THERE?" every half-mile or so."

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Some 30years ago, I once got the chance, to shoot with an Army 1860COLT revolver over a distance of 25 m.
When the smoke had dissappeared, the hole showed in the centre! The next shot was with a Luger 08 pistol,
9mm Para - we heared the bullet hit some walls, floor or sealing, but it missed the target completely.
Those were the days...