Arctic trip - Second ATD dies in Latvia

Shadowman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm really tired toninght so I'll make this a short message.
I was told by a Latvian biker called Olav that there was a place to get petrol and good food 30 km away in our direction. Follow me. He said getting on his Honda 1000. Off he went at speeds of up to 140kph. It was while overtaking a car I heard Bang Bang Bang. I knew what it was straight away.

By the time Gaham found me I had the new device in and was ready to start timing it.

I'm a dab hand at this now and knew from all to recent experience how not to time it at the side of the road.

In a strange way it was good that I timed it on the wrong side of the cam in Germany because if I hadn't I would not have Andreas's spare and would now be stuck in Riga Latvia.
Strange how fate plays a hand sometimes. :)

I'm going to bed and graham is going to update our web site. I'll attach a picture to be going on with.
Regards
Peter Sprot

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 79

nkt267

VOC Member
I think it's time to start adding suggestions as to why Peters bike is eating A T D's.I do not own a twin but I think I'm right that the magneto runs off the breather.
On Comets,certainly with alloy small idlers,it is not uncommon to see the small idler teeth end up like razor blades.:eek:I have a steel one starting to get like this.
Could a worn breather pinion cause his problem,or something worse.
Lets see if we can either solve his problem or make him worry even more when he gets back:D

Last edited:

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Yes, two ATD failures is worrying, usual reason is excess movement in the mag armature bearings. This sometimes is not due a worn bearing but due to collapse of the paper insulating washer. Isn't that right, Mr. J. S-D ? Referring to NKT's comment about razor-sharp teeth on Comet small idlers, the explaination here is that the Tufnol mag pinion , being quite soft, absorbs minute metalic particles from the oil and hence becomes a fine grit grinding wheel, abrading the small alloy idler teeth. Solution; renew both Tufnol pinion and small idler and fit a magnetic crankcase drain plug.

Last edited:

nkt267

VOC Member
I would have thought Len,that if the insulating washer failed the result would be no sparks or would that only apply to the points end washer.John

Shadowman

VOC Member
Hi chaps,
The small idler is steel.
When I put on the second one I thought it was not good which is why I borrowed Anreas's spare. The teeth were pointed and it just didn't look good. So I don't think we should read anything into the second failure.

What I'm more concerned about now is that after too many cities. (Today took 24 miles of first and second gear to get out of Warsaw!) My front brake is at the point were I think it may be about to give up.
Both brakes have been adjusted several times over the last 4000 miles
The right side is almost at the top of the cam. I haven't had it apart as I'm too tired tonight after a long haul on terrible roads with the most agressive and inconsiderate drivers I have ever faced. I'll be so glad to get out of Poland tomorrow.
So, for the moment the front brake is being kept for special occasions only. Hopefully tomorrow evening I'll be able to put the worn shoes from the front right onto the rear and if the other fronts are also getting close I'll put them on the rear. (As a get me home measure only)
Let me know if you think this is a bad idea?
Thanks in advance from Kracow in Southern Poland.
Graham will update our site in a few minutes
Regards
Peter Sprot

nkt267

VOC Member
It is what i would do Peter.If you are desperate and you want me to post some shoes to you in Germany ahead of when you get there,let me know and I will see what can be done..john

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Bend some shim material around the end of the shoe for the cam to push on. If there is lining left?

Shadowman

VOC Member
We arrived here st Buchlovice in th Czech Republic this evening after an enjoyable ride over the Carpathian mountains from Poland.
I've been trying not to use the front brake and so far I only needed it once today when Graham decided to turn sharp right without warning. The brake still works. But I think I should take off the wheel in the morning and take a look.
The idea of making leading trailing is an easy one to try. I thought about putting a coin under the plate on the shoe but dismissed it as dangerous.
I don't have any shim material but I'm sure I could find something that would do if push came to shove.

Thanks for the advice. It is very much appreciated.
We have about 1000 miles to go to get home and the roads should be good from now on.
Regards
Peter Sprot

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Shim material - try a coke can.....

Should be able to find a coke can somewhere about......

Ride safe - looking forward to the full story..

Stuart

We arrived here st Buchlovice in th Czech Republic this evening after an enjoyable ride over the Carpathian mountains from Poland.
I've been trying not to use the front brake and so far I only needed it once today when Graham decided to turn sharp right without warning. The brake still works. But I think I should take off the wheel in the morning and take a look.
The idea of making leading trailing is an easy one to try. I thought about putting a coin under the plate on the shoe but dismissed it as dangerous.
I don't have any shim material but I'm sure I could find something that would do if push came to shove.

Thanks for the advice. It is very much appreciated.
We have about 1000 miles to go to get home and the roads should be good from now on.
Regards
Peter Sprot