Anyone use a TTI gearbox?

Mike 40M

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
As I have a TTI gearbox for my Manx, I have noticed that they besides AMC boxes also make Burman boxes. Being a bit irritated on the puddle under the gearbox on my Comet, I'm thinking of replacing the old Burman. Any ideas about which way I shall go?

vibrac

VOC Member
As I understand it the boxes are real Burmans the same as on the AMC racers not like the grease laden tractor boxes we use. They also mention Albions. Budget for clutches as well

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Mike, Some of us have been using a Semi Fluid grease in Burman boxes, I had a mix of old type grease plus some thick oil, It always leaked a bit, I put a small amount of this semi stuff, And it's sealed itself. You can see it on feked.com in the UK, They will send it to you. Cheers Bill.

davidd

VOC Member
100_1586.jpg

The TTI BAR is a lovely box. Unfortunately, it does not have a kick starter as do most of the Burman racing boxes. I did have Bruce Verdon of TTI build me several AMC boxes with kick starters and six speeds to be installed in Comets. I think that would be the way to go. It is a relatively straight forward project to mount an AMC box in a Comet. Bruce will make them in 4,5 or 6 speeds.

David

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
There is no reason why a Burman gearbox should leak. Nachi 6207 sealed bearing in C3 clearance bored to 1.5" is available, as is modern seal holder. Kickstart shaft can be sealed with a robust "O" ring. Early selector shaft will admit a tiny thin "O" ring under the indicator, later boxes may need a seal machined in elsewhere along the shaft. New gaskets are available from the Club Spares. I agree that the Burman 'box is slow and I would not use it for racing. The TTI gearboxes are beautiful, but some of us just ain't got that kind of brass! The Comet on Steroids has just done 790 miles to the Parkes Rally and it pissed oil from the exhaust lifter and a bit from the mainshaft seal. Gearbox oiltight, Newby clutch brilliant. Penrite semi-liquid grease in the gearbox. I am going to investigate heavier breathing!

highbury731

VOC Member
View attachment 15123

The TTI BAR is a lovely box. Unfortunately, it does not have a kick starter as do most of the Burman racing boxes. I did have Bruce Verdon of TTI build me several AMC boxes with kick starters and six speeds to be installed in Comets. I think that would be the way to go. It is a relatively straight forward project to mount an AMC box in a Comet. Bruce will make them in 4,5 or 6 speeds.

David
The Burman replica shown on the TTI website is the 7R / G45 box (the originals used Manx internals, being made in the same factory...). Your gearbox is very different - so what is it?
Paul

davidd

VOC Member
Phil Vincent had Burman make six special gearboxes around 1934. These were the BAR gearboxes that had roller bearings. The boxes were used only for special events, such as the TT. The TT Grey Flashes were rather infamously fitted with these boxes. The were considered superior to the Albion, but at the TT it was found that these old boxes had become rather long in the tooth. Burman did not support them any longer and a lack of ratios and parts caused big problems. This caused a last minute change to the Albion boxes.

You can spot the BAR in photos of the TT racers and the prototype Flashes. Here is one in a photo of the Ginger Woods A-twin:

GINGER.jpg

Many of the Vincent racers were not allowed by rule to use anything but OEM boxes and the Albion and BA Burmans proved tempermental. In 2003 Kal Carrick was racing a twin that he built himself and due to the power he could only use an Norton box. He found an original BAR and had Bruce Verdon copy it. Kal got 6 of them in aluminum and another 6 were magnesium. I ordered one and Carleton ordered two, but decided to only take one. After racing with the box, I asked Bruce to send me Carleton's.

TTI_gearbox_parts_053.jpg

Bruce sent the above photo out as "proof of life" and we all took delivery a few months later. He may have made another batch as I have bought a few more over the years. With this box and a Newby clutch you only have the engine to worry about.

David

highbury731

VOC Member
Phil Vincent had Burman make six special gearboxes around 1934. These were the BAR gearboxes that had roller bearings. The were considered superior to the Albion.

Many of the Vincent racers were not allowed by rule to use anything but OEM boxes and the Albion and BA Burmans proved tempermental. In 2003 Kal Carrick found an original BAR and had Bruce Verdon copy it. Kal got 6 of them in aluminum and another 6 were magnesium. I ordered one and Carleton ordered two, but decided to only take one. After racing with the box, I asked Bruce to send me Carleton's.

David
I note that there are four four-speed clusters and a pair of six-speed clusters in the photo.

Given that a small number of Grey Flashes were fitted with early 7R boxes (Burman), then these would be acceptable to racing authorities on a racing Comet or Flash.

I once knew a chap who had a pair of empty gear cases for early 7R, and sold them for a nominal sum, thinking that a gear cluster would be impossible to obtain. He also sold a brand new Manx gear cluster. He was not best pleased when he learned that his Manx cluster would have gone straight in. Burman made both.....

vibrac

VOC Member
'A small number of Grey Flashes were fitted with early 7R boxes' now I think that needs clarification
aside from the 1950 TT Burmans (So called Kidney boxes?) that were pre war and substituted in haste at the TT itself
I was not aware that the factory ever fitted Burman '7R' boxes but since the 7R was a product of AJS from 1948 I suppose someone could have fitted one privately.
So did the factory get some from Burman and do the works records show this?