anyone tried this and is it just tubeless?

Comet Rider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Got something very similar on my trailer.
They do work well, but bare in mind on a tube type system it won't help much with a big puncture, but will show a gradual leak providing you remember to view the data

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
I have a mate with them fitted to his modern Guzzii. My understanding is that they screw onto the valve stem, so they work on anything with a standard Schrader fixing. Some come with a screen to attach where it can be read while riding.
I see the greatest advantage is that us old cripples dont have to get down on our hands & knees to read our tyre pressures. ;)

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
I have a mate with them fitted to his modern Guzzii. My understanding is that they screw onto the valve stem, so they work on anything with a standard Schrader fixing. Some come with a screen to attach where it can be read while riding.
I see the greatest advantage is that us old cripples dont have to get down on our hands & knees to read our tyre pressures. ;)
give it a bloody good kick if is soft then you have do a close up inspection any way and you should never totally trust any sort of technology with your life.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I use them on my Yamaha FJR1300 and TPMS is standard on our Lexus..it shows a slow leak which this past summer allowed me to effect a repair in situ before the tire got too soft and broke seal with the bead. Just remember to use metal valve stems because the weight of the TPMS sensor will flex a rubber stem leading to a crack & failure..I use “T” valve stems that let me add air without having to take the sensors off. Also - the sensors weigh enough that their weight will affect the balance of the tire - so balance the tire after installing the sensors on the stems.

vibrac

VOC Member
OK its mainly for winter supervision I can check without unpacking the secured bikes I have enough room to start them but not enough Arse room to pump tyres. The modern BMW infuriates me it has built in sensors that only work after you have gone half a mile and flash if you are half a pound under and worry you if to return or not

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
They don't transmit when parked. I have those aftermarket ones on my car and the first update on the display occurs after about 100 yards. Thereafter they only transmit if the pressure changes.
So no good for storage monitoring.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
OK its mainly for winter supervision I can check without unpacking the secured bikes I have enough room to start them but not enough Arse room to pump tyres. The modern BMW infuriates me it has built in sensors that only work after you have gone half a mile and flash if you are half a pound under and worry you if to return or not
Tim, I'll probably lose the Franchise for this.
I took a new F850GS home recently was really impressed with the bike but very frustrated when the whole display screen turned red after a few miles announcing that I must stop immediately because my tyre pressures did not meet specification! Well I did stop when it was safe and kicked the tyres in age-old fashion and they were clearly not flat or even soft. When eventually checked they were about 7-8 psi low, not great but hardly life threatening. When the system first came out in about 2007 they actually displayed the pressures.
A massive retrograde step and potentially a dangerous one in my opinion.
I'll keep my eyes and ears open for ME109s on the horizon!
Cheers Bill

vibrac

VOC Member
You are so right Bill at least I can stand the flashing when its19 instead of 21 on my GS1150 but its not helped by the continual drop in pressure in the rear over 2 weeks for the last 3 years I took it to a BMW garage and they tried to fix it (and diddent) also found other problems I never asked to be sorted and gave me a Bill for £600! Result a big row and I now go to a non franchised dealer. Deperciation means its not worth selling and its a good bike so now I use the bike for abroad touring and now its been sorned all year and I use my old bikes including a K100 for long trips so much for modern technology.