Anyone remember Sanglas?

Tnecniv Edipar

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
MZ's were touched on in another thread and it provoked me to think of Sanglas , specifically the 500 V2.
Any one remember those or actually own one ? I would really like to have one but they are so scarce.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Are these the bikes which the Spanish police used to ride? Possibly they still do. If so there must be hundreds in Spain.

vibrac

VOC Member
sanglas racing

Towards the end Sanglas produced some bikes powered by a batch of Yamaha XS650 parallel twin engines I always kept an eye out for one -What a hoot that would be its is a tuneable engine, and with their ban on non-european bikes I would love to enter one in the VMCC races.However I guess Ben on the Egli would cream it anyway:D

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Are these the bikes which the Spanish police used to ride? Possibly they still do. If so there must be hundreds in Spain.

Not sure if the Spanish fuzz still use Sanglas , but I doubt it. Yamaha took over the factory sometime in the '80's , not sure what they made or make now. The 500 V2 was a pretty sassy single for the times though. Triple disc brakes , electric start , good chassis , purposeful styling , comfortable. A sort of 4 stroke MZ :D The engine was built on a rugged scale and well designed with spin on oil filter etc , etc. Still pushrod though for simplicity. I've only seen 1 for sale in the last 10 years but it was a neglected scabby heap.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Towards the end Sanglas produced some bikes powered by a batch of Yamaha XS650 parallel twin engines I always kept an eye out for one -What a hoot that would be its is a tuneable engine, and with their ban on non-european bikes I would love to enter one in the VMCC races.However I guess Ben on the Egli would cream it anyway:D

They did produce a Yamaha powered machine but I think it was an XS400 engine not the 650. The 400 was a dire lump !!

Beano

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The 500V2 was the last of the Sanglases (Sangli?) Performance was akin to a, Norton ES2, or an Enfield Bullet. Some earlier wire-spoked 400 singles were imported before the 500. The factory fitted Yamaha XS400 (not XS650) engines, before the eventual take over by Yamaha and the demise of the big singles. I had a 500V2 in the late 1980s, bought as a scrapper in Edinburgh and had trouble finding engine and gearbox spares, in the end I fitted a Rover 90 car exhaust guide and an unknown valve from an assorted boxfull at Don Law's in Hull. Unable to source pinions for the five speed gearbox I used a mini grinder to undercut the selector dogs to prevent it jumping out of top gear. All the mods worked well. The selector 'quadrant' was huge and box-like and made for slow changes. The starter motor was a car type and engaged directly with a pinion around the left side flywheel. Pulling the full size valve lifter lever alonside the clutch lever when thumbing the starter button was essential to relieve strain on the system, once the engine was spinning freely (only 3 seconds with the exhaust valve open) you let go the lever and she fired up. If you didn't use the valve lifter the engine slowly wheezed it's way over compression. The 500V2 had heavy cast alloy wheels. The brakes were Guzzi V50 type Brembos with an oddball rear master cylinder which was rod operated from the foot pedal. The round heads of six large allen bolts securing the rear sprocket to its 'carrier' drove the rear wheel via rubber bushes and vanes in the rear hub. - - The Sanglas was a pleasant plodder, a 'relaxed ride', certainly no use for police 'pursuit' work! We did a direct comparison to the then 'newly released' Enfield India 500 and found the performance almost identical except that the four speed Enfield had a huge gap between 3rd and 4th necessitating much use of 3rd gear in urban riding whereas the Sanglas' 4th gear was just right. I seem to recall I was getting 60+mpg ridden gently. In the pictures mine is the red one. I sold it in Morpeth in the early 90s. I think the Reg No was FK?847V.

Attachments

• Sanglas at Park Rash .jpg
    Sanglas at Park Rash .jpg
    224 KB · Views: 55
  • Sanglas gearbox.jpg
    Sanglas gearbox.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Sanglas x2 + Bond Bug.jpg
    Sanglas x2 + Bond Bug.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 61