Anyone remember Jeffrey Wade

Gwymbo

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
ron use to own my shadow.
he was a regular at teds cafe by the roundabout pub on the a127 or southend rd as we called it.
his wife fronted most of the cash for his bikes.she ran a hairdressing shop.
he always turned up on the latest bikes from 750 hondas to bridgestones.
reads of leytonestone was his main source of bikes [read titans] etc.
sadly rons no longer with us .dont know about jeff.
jeff wade often stopped by with his racers on trailors
i beleive he had a 500 seely outfit as well.
to the bikers in chigwell ron was known as the mad welshman.
he had a bad crash on the bridgestone that nearly killed him.
Hello @ossie, I’m Ron’s daughter, Gwyneth. Wondered if you had any stories you could tell me about my Dad as he passed when I was a teenager...
Hope to hear from you :)

Bill Cannon

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Gwyneth, I am the current owner of the bike featured above.
I managed to track down your father to Blackpool back in the 90s and had a long phone conversation with him.
He seemed to still live up to his reputation as a raconteur and maybe some of his stories probably needed a good dose of salt!. He told me of his exploits with Jeff Wade on the Isle of Mann. The thing that sticks in my memory is that he claimed the bike was timed at 165mph on the mountain.
I also tracked down Jeff Wade about 10 years ago and it turned out he lived in Braintree Essex about 9 miles from me. He was a keen cyclist and had lost all interest in motorcycles. Being fit I guess he is probably still alive.
I won't give you his details but if you follow this link you should find him!
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/05400238/officers
Cheers Bill

ossie

VOC Member
Hello @ossie, I’m Ron’s daughter, Gwyneth. Wondered if you had any stories you could tell me about my Dad as he passed when I was a teenager...
hi Gwyneth were you Rons daughter from the hairdresser in Buchurst hill or his second wife he moved to wales with.he was a bit of a smooth dresser always had a cravate on.
he was friends with a local bloke Evan [dot] Marks who use to take my sister out on his bikes,thats who i got to know your dad through. It was through Dot that i bought my shadow as i showed him a picture of it and he said if its like that get it,which i did and still have 1966.
then your dad turned up on my doorstep asking if i could swap some bits on it to fit his vincent that was my first meeting of ron. and i got to know him a bit more after that as i lived in Chigwell close to where he did. He did own the bike I now own his name is in the old log book.
the Essex section has a scrapbook and your dad will probably be in it somwhere i will try and find out. our previous MPH editor John Webber knew Ron so he might have some more info.
I wasn't a member of the VOC club then so other people will have more stories of his escapades than me as I only bumped into him at Teds Café in Woodford.He always had the latest bikes that came out loved to impress the lads down Teds.
OSSIE

vinut

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
ron use to own my shadow.
he was a regular at teds cafe by the roundabout pub on the a127 or southend rd as we called it.
his wife fronted most of the cash for his bikes.she ran a hairdressing shop.
he always turned up on the latest bikes from 750 hondas to bridgestones.
reads of leytonestone was his main source of bikes [read titans] etc.
sadly rons no longer with us .dont know about jeff.
jeff wade often stopped by with his racers on trailors
i beleive he had a 500 seely outfit as well.
to the bikers in chigwell ron was known as the mad welshman.
he had a bad crash on the bridgestone that nearly killed him.

I bought Jeffs Suzuki Titan 500cc from him in 1971 , he finished 6th in the proddy TT in 1970 on it . And a year later 71, I was part of his pit crew when he rode the John Tickle Manx Norton that he finished 18th on in the senoir race with it . I had the honour of riding the manx from our digs / workshop in Douglas , down the promenade full mega blasting away , had to stop at the Policeman who was directing the traffic , and then he let us all ride up to the grandstand for ther start !! I still have that silly grin even now thinking about it ! And Ron Owen Pullin lived round the corner to me , as did Jeff in Buckhurst Hill Essex .Jeff was a postoffice engineer at the time , really nice guy and a great laugh !He had a lovely Egli Vincent that was tuned by Ron Lewis , who was famed for the saying ,"What man Has Made Man Can Make Again " .Happy Days :)

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Many times I have said to myself I should get in touch with Jeff again to see if he had any memorabilia of my Egli, but, as ever, life got in the way. Not too long ago I was searching him on the internet and it appears he died about 10 years ago. His wife is still listed as living in Braintree just down the road from me.

ossie

VOC Member
T
This is Ron the last time i saw him outside Dots house on my bike that he owned for a short while .
the photo was taken in Chigwell just round the corner from me.

Attachments

•   897.jpg
    897.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 40
  •   898.jpg
    898.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 40