Anyone remember George Russell, Vincent owner, Aylesbury - journo looking for info

petrolhead

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello

I'm a journalist and researching a story about one George Russell, who between 1960 to 1969 lived in the Aylesbury, Bucks area. He owned at least 4 Vincents and I think was part of the Oxford section of the then HRD owners club. He regularly won many trophies for his restored and modified bikes. I have a stash of photos and clippings that relate to him, some of which show the reg numbers of his bikes and I'll dig them out - maybe they are still out there? Did anyone out there know him or remember him? He worked at Rileys motorcycle shop in Aylesbury for many years. Thanks for any info!!

Last edited:

petrolhead

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello Hugo - that's the bike, or one of them at least. I'm not sure if it's possible to post pics here but if so I'll try. Do you remember much about him from your meetings?

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi 'Petrolhead',
I don't remember much about him. I was very young and riding my first Vincent, a well used £30 Comet. I was rather in awe of him and his immaculate and well prepared modified Vincent. I hovered on the edge of the crowd of admirers, only speaking to him briefly and shyly. I seem to remember the saddle was either in white or tan. I think he had two of these Vincents finished in blue. In those days, early sixties, the concours d'elegance at the annual rallies was not particularly concerned with originality and authenticity. Modified bikes ruled the day. I think he was a concours winner a couple of times. I know there are photos of, at least, of one of these bikes in the club magazine, MPH, of that time.
Hugo.