Anyone here ever seen an ignition setup like this/Help

jng7463

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have a setup I have never seen before; Need help removing this. All I know is, it is well made. ;interesting setup- two sets of points so two running coils, both running wasted spark. I have a correct mag for this. Thanks James IMAG0111.jpgIMAG0112.jpgIMAG0113.jpgIMAG0115.jpgIMAG0121.jpg

passenger0_0

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi James, I believe the system you have is a Dolfin for Dolphin unit made in the UK however I'm sure that our English friends will be able to provide more information. There was one of these on a Norvin I raced which used a Lucas 6CA points and backing plate system along with a manual advance which I note your system also has. Not that rare but certainly interesting. Cheers David,

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello James, David is right, Sold one to AUS last year, I think I should not have sold it !! I think you have taken out the three outer screws and it is the sealer that is holding it, Give the body a light tap, All The Best Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Good photos ABCD, Looks like the the Cam has to come off first ? James has took the bolt out so it should all Tap off, Cheers Bill.

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
Bill , I bought one of these about a million years ago from Dolphin Motors. The main problem was failure to advance properly due to general friction in the system and i could never keep the points gaps the same or 12 thou or what ever it was supposed to be, for more than a1000 miles at a time i sold mine to Norman Lord and fitted the mag back on. As you say nicely made but let down by the Prince of Darkness . Ken

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Ken, Yes i had the same, Was always fiddling with it, Mind you, when you see the money you have to pay for New mag's I think I should not have sold mine !!. I have just been on the phone to Roy Price to see if he will do anymore Dist's, His wife says not, I think I could have set it up on my Comet project, My brother Ron, always said,don't get rid of anything Vincent,because you always pay more later. Cheers Bill.