Anyone here ever seen an ignition setup like this/Help

Bob Stafford

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Well, I guess you have all the information you will need by now but if I can help further then I am the guy who did the prototype plus the next dozen or so also all the tooling for the job before it was turned over to an engineering firm, atwin998@:hotmail.co.uk

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Worth mentioning that Dolphin Motors was set up by Peter Russell in Sileby, Leicestershire. He had a fair amount of success racing a Vincent outfit and built replicas of his own outfit for other riders who used them also with success; Martin Davenport for example. The Dolphin Ignition Kit was designed with the object of getting equal strength sparks on both cylinders, to be able to time each cylinder independently. to provide manual advance and rev counter drive if required. As others have said, the Lucas contact breakers did cause trouble. The last I heard of Peter Russell was that his Vincent interests were passed on to Mellor Motors in Coventry and he had set up a tyre and exhaust centre at Birstall just outside Leicester.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Len, I seem to remember you built something Special for your bike, Any chance of details, and could it work on a C Comet, Cheers Bill.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Hello Len, I seem to remember you built something Special for your bike, Any chance of details, and could it work on a C Comet, Cheers Bill
Not quite sure what you refer to Bill. All I use is a Series D distibutor that feeds a twin outlet ignition coil therefore it runs on an idle spark basis. The normal cap and rotor arm are left off and a BSA C10 cap is used instead. This arrangement has many plusses. Easy to time, spares are available, it keeps the HT away from wet conditions and fault finding is easy (unlike electronic systems) and -dare I say it-this is the setup used by H-D for ages.