Anyone got any Conway Motors adverts from the 1980's

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help.
I've recently repatriated the Vincent Series C Rapide that my father and I used to look after in the 1970's and 1980's. I know that it was sold around late 1984/early 1985 to Ted Davis (friend of my fathers). However I suspect that as Ted was still in full time employment his Vincent dealings were done on the side.
The bike was sold to Australia, however the chap who bought it only owned it for a few months and swapped it for a Harley Davidson and some cash. I have managed to track the second owner in Australia who says that the first guy swore he bought it from Conway Motors, not Ted Davis.

Knowing that Conway now sell on behalf of other customers, I wondered if they might do the same in the 1980's.

To make the story a little more intriguing I have managed to confirm with DVLA that the original registration on the bike, KWS 100 was transferred onto a Vauxhall Viva on the 16th April 1985 at the local DVLA office in Northwich, Cheshire - isn't this close by where Conway Motors used to be?

The bike then became ANB 601A after a physical inspection by DVLA and from there I can only presume it was sold out to Australia.

So I'm trying to fill in a gap of around a year or so in the bikes history between late 1984 and early 1986 when the second owner in Australia took ownership - from there I know where it has been, who has had it and what has been done to it.

I wondered if perhaps there may have been any adverts in the old MPH's around the period September 1984 through May 1985 showing the Series C Rapide being offered for sale.

Any help that anyone can offer in filling in the gap in the bikes history would be very gratefully received - the bike has now been re-registered in the UK as 824 XUE.

Thanks for taking to time to have a read.

Cheers

Stuart

methamon

Non-VOC Member
Conway Motors

Stuart,

By 1985 I suspect that Conway Motors had re-located from the Goldhawk Road London to Tankerton Road in Whitstable Kent.

Methamon

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Stuart,

By 1985 I suspect that Conway Motors had re-located from the Goldhawk Road London to Tankerton Road in Whitstable Kent.

Methamon
Hi,
I must be dreaming as I recall going to a Vincent Shop in the 1970's and 1980's in Lymm Cheshire - which I thought was Conway's - am I wrong?

I'll try Conway's now and see if they have any records.

Ta to all.

Stuart

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Stuart, The Shop in Lymm was the The Thresher run by Dave & Jane Greaves with his brother Bert.Trev.Tww.
Ahhhh - Jolly Thresher - now I recall.

Many thanks - makes my connection to Northwich wrong though where the bike was re-registered.

I'll continue to track down the Conway's connection as the guy in Australia appears to have been convinced that is who he bought it from even though I know that it was Ted Davis who bought it from my Dad in 1984/1985.

Thanks for the info. I remember going there with my Dad and buying a tank cover.

Stuart