Any cricket tragics out there?

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It is a mild day, 24ºC. The English (plus a couple of Seff Africaans) are playing Australia in a game of cricket. As an Englishman in Australia (NOT New York... ooooh flashback to Sting or Quentin Crisp) this is just soooooo enjoyable. The Australian media are almost praying for a miracle while begrudgingly saying the Australian side is just not up to it. Not up to it??!!?!!! They would be hard pressed to beat Glamorgan! :p

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I have a WG Grace on my mothers side to thank for a life long passing interest in the game, and though I have skillfully managed to learn not one bit - it is a lovely game to watch.

davidjoyner

Non-VOC Member
Ha! being a Seff Ifrikan abroad (UK) - the Ashes tour is blerry sweet man! To watch the Aussies taking a klapping from the Poms is just too lekker man. Is the barmy army like the French Foreign legion - do they take foreigners?

Len Matthews

VOC Member
According to my newspaper Ponting's remonstrations with the umpire was likened to the behavior of footballers. Let's hope no cricketer ever stoops that low.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
I met a Seff Iffrican woman called Cindie in the Maldives. Her hisbind, Givvin, was "in security". Givvin made the blockhouses overlooking the D-Day beaches look anorexic, so my besottment had to remain remote. It was remote by a 30 year age difference too, but a man can dream. And not that Givvin was nearly as dangerous as Home Counties convent-educated (mercifully she wasn't a great scholar...) Barbara, to whom I'm married. You owe this irrelevant tale to my love of Seff Ifrican accents, developed when I met TT winner Bill Simpson, from Rrhiddesia, and reinforced by my niece's partner Warren. Or Wirren.
Just above freezing today. The Vin sulks in the garage, planning how best to not start when the weather improves.
I wish all VOC members a Guid (dialect) and Prosperous New Year. And First Kick Starting.

My understanding is that Oz bragged that the Poms were dead in the water before the match started, and now that what they thought was a floating log has turned out to be an alligator, they've gone off in a hissy fit, whingeing, as they do, the big girl's blouses. Is that more or less correct?

shadhubh

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Once had knowledge of a Seff Iffrican "lady" in PE 1963,,me going ashore togs walked of the ship, the next day, of there own vollition...Lot to be said for Carbollic (spelling)

Prosperous New Year to You All Vic..

clevtrev

VOC Member
Once had knowledge of a Seff Iffrican "lady" in PE 1963,,me going ashore togs walked of the ship, the next day, of there own vollition...Lot to be said for Carbollic (spelling)

Prosperous New Year to You All Vic..

Change the i for an o.

shadhubh

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Took me a while, Trev, but I think I got there in the end..Have a good New Year...........................................Vic..