anti sumping valve

olly sanders

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have just aquired a rapide B. It was reported that the oil pump works well but it wet sumps when left for long periods. I am thinking of fitting a Conways anti sumping valve. Has anyone got experience of these? do they restrict the oil flow in any way?
Thanks
oile

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
olly
I've got them fitted to my bikes and they're very good, no sign of oil flow restriction. I've no problem in recomending them.
Ian

Alan J

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Strange, isn't it? my old Vin never wet sumps , it's probably done over 400,000 miles on the same pump and never been touched!! {my A.J.S. wet sumps like mad!!}:confused::confused:

indianken

Non-VOC Member
I have just aquired a rapide B. It was reported that the oil pump works well but it wet sumps when left for long periods. I am thinking of fitting a Conways anti sumping valve. Has anyone got experience of these? do they restrict the oil flow in any way?
Thanks
oile

Oile,

When I think of something working automatically I think of it not automatically working.:eek:

Ken Smith

Comet

VOC Member
Hi Olly,
I have one fitted and it works brilliantly. I know of a couple of other riders who have fitted them to their Vins' and have heard no complaints.
highly recommended.

cheers
JK

indianken

Non-VOC Member
Hi Olly,
I have one fitted and it works brilliantly. I know of a couple of other riders who have fitted them to their Vins' and have heard no complaints.
highly recommended.

cheers
JK

JK,

At the 2007 Irish National Rally, Marcus Boden and myself found ourselves helping out a fellow on a Red Rapide. He had just brought it over from America to run in this rally and to go to the Isle of Man races. The bike was newly redone and he was having a problem with it running REALLY HOT!! On checking the oil returning to the tank we were dismayed by the miserable dribble from the return line. Upon further investigation we found one of these anti wet sump type valves installed on the feed line. When it was removed the oil returning to the tank was back to its normal flow and the owner seemed to have no problems after that.

If any of you know who the owner is, please ask him about this.

Ken Smith

Kevin Fowler

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Any photos of the instalation of the antisumping valve. I am about to fit one in lieu of a ball valve, which works very well unless you forget to turn it on.
Kevin Fowler

john998

VOC Member
Hello,
Not sure how the Conway valve works, but the type fitted to the Velocette is a none return ball valve with a light
spring keeping the ball on the seat. Obviously it is fitted such that the pump suction can over come the spring.
The problem with this type is that any air leakage after the ball valve leaves the ball on it's seat and no oil.
After seizing a MAC Velo the ball went in the scrap box. Regards John.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Just for the record, a friend with an A Comet had just fitted a Conways Anti-sumping Valve and came to me with a complaint that it was running hot. Yep, no oil return. The valve had not been bled properly and there was air onwards down into the oil-pump. Once bled, there were no further problems and its running well - even if a bit more rattly than it had been! Moral of the story: do bleed it properly and then it will work as advertised.

Peter B

ET43

Non-VOC Member
When I was running the red outfit special, I fitted a Conways anti sumping valve. There is an arrow upon the case where the Vee of the arrow depicts the direction of travel of the oil, or, if you like, the direction that the valve is to be fitted. I enlarged the bleed hole in the brass body, tapped it M6 and made a threaded tube four inches long to screw into the tapping. Onto this I fitted a small funnel so that I could fill it with oil and let gravity fill the oil line below the valve, thus priming the system. I never had any problems with the device. The hole was sealed with an M6 pan head s/s set screw and obligatory red fibre washer. I would not trust my memory if a ball valve was fitted, unless it could be fitted with a system where the ball valve had to be turned on to activate the ignition. Cheers, ET43