"Anti-Spill" foam fuel cap collar ?

yorchie

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Was ordering some parts for a 1955 NSU Quickly (almost a firefly) ... This is from a NSU from the spares website and I liked the "Today Sponge" for gas cap. Always have gas vapors that collect on vintage tanks and I was curious if anyone in VOC has seen or used this? Sells for £1.50 in UK and would like to find one in US or will probably buy one to see what density/material/pattern used. Looks like a good beer cozy so you never lose a pint.:cool:

I did a screen grab of the photo and here is a link (test to see if it works) and also did as an attachment to this post.

https://commcenter.bresnan.net/Sess...G-jizkevb/MIME/INBOX/54511-02-B/Picture 1.jpg

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 71

charles d cannon jr

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I would be afraid to use anything like this for fear of it retaining the gas that leaks out. Without it, the gas will evaporate. With it, you may lose your paint job. This new gas seems to eat clearcoat finish.

johnmead

Non-VOC Member
I used them on my dirt bikes back in the 60s and 70s. They kept the pre-mix from running down the sides of the tank and attracting dirt while riding.

John Mead

davidd

VOC Member
I would be afraid to use anything like this for fear of it retaining the gas that leaks out. Without it, the gas will evaporate. With it, you may lose your paint job. This new gas seems to eat clearcoat finish.

I think Charles is right. Pat Manning runs a tank bag on his D Shadow and some fuel came out the vent. Everywhere the foam pad touched the tank the clear coat lifted!

David