Another winner from Stevenage

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Bemused of Aberdeen

Lewis Hamilton is a member of VOC? Ownership and enthusiasm for Nortons (OK, Manx Nortons. The pushrod ones, Commando apart, I can take or leave alone, except possibly John Earnshaw's single speed flat tanker, an absolute flying machine) are not welcome? What's going on here? I think we should be told.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Stevenage

I don't really see why my initial post should have caused any confusion, but just in case, here it is in plain speech. "Lewis Hamilton comes from Stevenage, where Vincents were made." If there was a sub-text, it might be "Now isn't that mildly interesting?".

What I did find confusing were the responses, whence my second post. I don't care if people want to discuss Nortons or any other bike. Jtan has occasional bursts of "this is a Vincent forum and nothing except Vincents should ever be discussed" and I find that boring. I also think it can be counter-productive, particularly when discussing electrical problems (not my best subject) where the symptoms and causes are common to many different bikes.

Tom, please correct me if I am wrong but you appear to have started a thread about Stevenage, but your real point appeared to be about Lewis Hamilton.

Now in my wildest dreams I did not envisage anyone would actually ‘think’ I was expecting Lewis to read my post in person. Now to make this clear, and no longer open to such ridiculous misunderstanding, my intention was just to let fellow VOC members know that I congratulate Lewis for his achievement. Other members could have responded in a positive manner but perhaps the result in question was not the one they hoped for? I think there has been a lot of negativity about Lewis, and this was addressed by Stirling Moss on last night's News at Ten.

Perhaps in the cold light of day there is no relevance with my post to this site, so thank you Tom for laying the foundation that started it.

Therefore, as there is no relevance for it here, then surely there is also no relevance to Norton motorcycles, unless they are powered by Vincent engines?

Having said that, and as you know from our past private correspondence, I am a huge Norton fan. But I do know I do not have to visit this site to read about them.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
This was in part probably due to Lewis having previously run into the back of him in the pit lane, which has to be one of the biggest blunders ever.

Just one of many Hamilton incidents. As you say , Kimi is amongst the best talent in F1 today and an infinitely better sportsman than Hamilton.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Racing

I fundamentally disagree with these arguments. I race, and I have pursued championships. I won my last championship when, left on the line with no second gear, I set off in what seemed a hopeless pursuit. But my rival, by now in sight but out of reach, had his bike die when his air filters took in so much water (it was VERY wet) that his bike drowned on the last lap but one.
The year before all I had to do was finish the last race in the points and the championship was mine. My big-end let go in practice. I was runner-up.
Sh*t happens.
What I thought was fantastic was that Timo Glock's last three laps were 1.18, 1.28, and 1.44, and the MacLaren team could see he was in trouble, watching him come in (to Lewis) on GPS. WOW! That's taking it to the wire.
As Massa said, you have to know how to win, and how to lose. That's racing. All of these guys are SO close in ability you couldn't get a cigarette paper between them, but this year Massa and Hamilton were within ONE point of one another, with Kimi 20 points behind.
There's another thing: I may be fast, but Phil Read, now 123 years old, and against whom I raced this year, is faster. And he always will be. It's the way the cards were dealt. Read's bad fortune was that he was a contemporary of Hailwood, who was faster still. I think Lewis is holding the hand Clark, Senna, and Schumacher were dealt.
Feel free to point this out to me if he goes tits-up next year.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
champs motor sport

Lewis comes from Tewin nr Stevenage look back in history 500cc racing world champ Tommy Bridges come from Tewin as well most be the water