Another good reason to be member

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Currently there is a "Black Shadow" listed for auction by an Australian auction house. The bike looks fine but the numbers do not. After an e-mail and a phone call it transpires that the bike is indeed of doubtful parentage. The difference is, of course, tens of thousands of dollars and the possibility it is a stolen machine. What rang the alarm bells was the bike is supposedly a 1951 model but has HRD crankcases and the crankcase mating numbers are more like 1947 vintage than 1951. The vendor may or may not be aware of this anomaly (I do no know whether he is a member) but if he is not then he is in for a rude shock. If he is aware and is trying to perpetrate a fraud then I hope he comes seriously unstuck. The auction house is now taking the appropriate steps to either modify the description of the bike or withdraw it.

christulin

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Could the club check the numbers in their database? If it has been stolen, it would be nice to return it to it's rightful owner.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
The machine came from Ted Davis in the 80's when nobody cared much about numbers.I know the original importer and was on hand when the 'bike was first fired up in Australia.

nobby

VOC Member
At Atlantic Motorcycles this Lightning is for sale, for the second time in many years, or it was off-list for a couple of years.

Vincent Lightening - c1950 - ( P.O.A )
Built in the early 1980's with mostly original parts.

Is this a post-works Ted Davis bike too? Do not know the asking price, must be a lot because it is still unsold. What would be a 'realistic' price? Yes, I know, realistic prices in Vincentland? Yesterday I was outbid on eBay for some small second hand parts for more (without postage!) then I can buy it new at the Spares or Kemp... And it is there NOT out of stock!

Last edited:

Albervin

VOC Member
AAhh. Atlantic Motorcycles. Bought my first Vincent from Atlantic. Load of rubbish. Grossly overpriced bitza from the garage of ,,,,,,,,,,, Ted! If I wasn't in Australia I would have had both of them in court.