Another Egli build

Brian Thompson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello Everyone,
Well ive been putting this off for probably a year now. This 1948 Rapide is up and running nicely. TP 600cc top ends and 5 speed quaife gearbox and everything else you can buy that's not original. The frame is basically stock and really only a test bed for the engine. I went overboard on the frame rebuild. Im taking the engine out to put into the Mcintosh Egli frame i bought a couple of years ago . Its a roller now. With 38 mm forks and Yamaha brakes. 260mm and 220mm front and rear respectively. Im assembling a std twin to take its place. The reason i hear you say? He likes the Egli style frame. Good enough for me. It wont take long as you know. 3 bolts and some oil lines. Have to make a temporary frame to hold front and rear together also. Well thats about it for now.
Keep healthy
Regards
Brian
20200621_161959.jpg
20200621_164632.jpg
20200621_164654.jpg

Brian Thompson

Non-VOC Member
I cant believe how quickly 6 years of restoration can be undone. I think it even took me hours to get that exhaust on and only 5 minutes to get it off .
20200622_180029.jpg
20200622_173437.jpg
20200622_181210.jpg
Even though the new frame doesnt have provision for the rear head clip to be bolted too, i was thinking of leaving the clip on the head. is that normal? Im hoping Bill Thomas sends me over his frame section that holds the bike together till i get the other engine done.

vibrac

VOC Member
Interesting that build to strip time I think its about 4 :1 with a machine not being altered

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I might not need my Jig for the next job Brian, I am going to try to get the Engine out without taking the
UFM off, "D" Comet ?.
Good Luck, Bill.

davidd

VOC Member
Even though the new frame doesnt have provision for the rear head clip to be bolted too, i was thinking of leaving the clip on the head. is that normal?

Brian,

If the rear head lug is a good fit into the frame, I would include it. I don't know what is "normal" for the McIntosh designed frame. I don't believe that the bolted attachment is absolutely necessary. At a minimum, there are those who have run without a bolt in place. Because the design is bolted in solidly at the pivot, as well as the front head lug, McIntosh appears to conclude that the rear head bolt is not necessary. It certainly resolves the issue of allowing movement at the rear head lug for thermal expansion.

David

Brian Thompson

Non-VOC Member
Hello Everyone,
Ive swapped over the frames. A bit of fiddling about by myself. The engine sits a lot higher as does the whole bike really. I've had to modify some of the spacers supplied. I guess it's not rocket science but a" how to do it properly " would have been handy. I guess the first line would read; firstly wreck one perfectly good HRD Vincent. Ha ha
After spending so much time assembling the other bike this had better be a good , I mean a great thing.
A couple of things, how is the steering stops fitted to an original Egli frame?
Also, im turning the rear Yamaha wheel the opposite way , so the brakes will have an opposite trailing setup
20200721_170134.jpg
20200721_170035.jpg
20200721_165549.jpg
20200721_165537.jpg
. Is this really going to be an issue? Its 260mm 4ls on the front and 220mm 2ls on the rear. Or really the rear brake will be twin trailing shoe.
Any other thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.
I'm hoping Greg Brillus offers to make me a set of pipes, here's hoping.
Cheers
Brian

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
So Brian, What setup are you thinking of , For Pipes and silencers ?,
One each side , Or one above the other .
I liked this setup in about 1972, Bit like the 3 cylinder Triumph ?.

Attachments

• 059a (2).jpg
    059a (2).jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 34

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Hello Everyone,
Ive swapped over the frames. A bit of fiddling about by myself. The engine sits a lot higher as does the whole bike really. I've had to modify some of the spacers supplied. I guess it's not rocket science but a" how to do it properly " would have been handy. I guess the first line would read; firstly wreck one perfectly good HRD Vincent. Ha ha
After spending so much time assembling the other bike this had better be a good , I mean a great thing.
A couple of things, how is the steering stops fitted to an original Egli frame?
Also, im turning the rear Yamaha wheel the opposite way , so the brakes will have an opposite trailing setupView attachment 36052View attachment 36053View attachment 36054View attachment 36055. Is this really going to be an issue? Its 260mm 4ls on the front and 220mm 2ls on the rear. Or really the rear brake will be twin trailing shoe.
Any other thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.
I'm hoping Greg Brillus offers to make me a set of pipes, here's hoping.
Cheers
Brian
An enjoyable task. Get ready soon. Ride!