Ano domini identification needed

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I knew it would happen my memory has gone!
I have a comet with 12v coil ignition its fed from a black box (not a lump of plastic ) in Miller regulator style but its 3inches by 2 1/2inches by 2 inches deep I can see part of the underneath its a silver label with what looks like a connection diagram and the start of the name "MIC---" the normal 3 wires come out of it White red and black. I fitted the damm thing only 5 years ago. can I remember what make it is-No, I have looked every where in my records-blank.before I move half the bike to get it off does anyone know what make it is-I thought it was Boyer before i started looking but Im sure its not

vince998

VOC Member
Some of the Boyer systems have names like Micro MKIII etc (normally on the silver label on the box of tricks)
Maybe this is what you´re seeing.

vibrac

VOC Member
by jove sir! you have it! I think it was the "miller" case that fooled me I was expecting a boyer to look like a lump of square tar, anyway I risked a 'boyer test' on it and it sparks fine. so I guess its the wiring.
Of all the tasks on bikes making a good wiring connection is still a pain after 40 years,I can do most jobs on a bike but electrical connections is my stumbling block it takes forever. I have tried the old bullet connectors -have a tool that does them but only 1 in 6 is to be trusted ,tried soldering tags but after 2 it starts to melt wires. tried flat crimping and some always come loose. I had resigned myself to the high failure rate and then some guy at Silverstone had a piece of kit that rolled the sides of the connector onto the wires in spade and spade socket connections worked every time they looked just like the wiring connectors on new Japanese looms.Said the tool was a lot of money and the connectors came in large packs.Wish I knew what the system was called -before he could tell me it was time to get on the track again.

vince998

VOC Member
I use the "rolling" pliers on all spade connectors for the wiring you don´t see. For the connections you do i use the old bullet connectors.
The pliers you can get in any good hardware store here in Germany and they don´t cost the world.
Look on E-Bay for the pliers and the connectors, you´ll probably be able to put a good kit together for under 20 pounds.
i always solder as well as crimping
Soldering:
get yourself a good electric soldering iron.
when soldering, make sure there´s enough molten solder on the iron, and use the solder to heat the spade or the end of the bullet.
If the irons hot enough (and the solder), it all happens before the insulation on the wire gets chance to melt.
It sounds like your trying to heat the wire with the iron, and dab the solder on top.

vibrac

VOC Member
If you have a name or a link that would be a help,searching "rolling pliers" and variations get me nowhere and all the crimping tools for connectors look the same (I should know I must have 3 or 4 in my workshop)

vince998

VOC Member
If you have a name or a link that would be a help,searching "rolling pliers" and variations get me nowhere and all the crimping tools for connectors look the same (I should know I must have 3 or 4 in my workshop)

Two minutes in Google
http://www.starkelectronic.com/eclcrimp.htm
http://www.eclipsetools.com/ProductPics/Latest .jpegs/300-055.JPG
Item no 300 055

Important thing is you don´t want "squashing" pliers for insulated connections but "forming" pliers for uninsulated connectors.
The forming pliers have the right shape jaws to scroll the tangs of the connector over (one side for gripping the bare wires, the second side for rolling the longer tangs and actually pushing the tangs into the wire insulation)
Solder, clean and slip a piece of shrink tube over the crimped part afterwards to make a prober job of it (don´t forget to put the shrink tube on before the connector, and don´t let the shrink tube get to close to the connection when soldering. Wait until the joint is cool before silding the insulation over)

With the proper tools it´s actually an enjoyable job :D

This one will do as well
300-035 $12.50 Multi-Purpose Crimper (thats the one i use)

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Thankyou for your help
If I crack this one I will consider that I can make a go of most workshop tasks -except for making my own aluminium castings like Burt Munro now thats impressive....

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Tim,
The connectors years ago that were supplied with the Boyer black boxes were horrible hard plastic crimped up things. Perhaps they still are as I haven't seen any of their later offerings.
Next time you take a ride over to see Tony at BT-H ask him to show you what he uses. He might even give you a demo. :)
Try this link for electrical connectors and tools:
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/home/homepage.php

by jove sir! you have it! I think it was the "miller" case that fooled me I was expecting a boyer to look like a lump of square tar, anyway I risked a 'boyer test' on it and it sparks fine. so I guess its the wiring.
Of all the tasks on bikes making a good wiring connection is still a pain after 40 years,I can do most jobs on a bike but electrical connections is my stumbling block it takes forever. I have tried the old bullet connectors -have a tool that does them but only 1 in 6 is to be trusted ,tried soldering tags but after 2 it starts to melt wires. tried flat crimping and some always come loose. I had resigned myself to the high failure rate and then some guy at Silverstone had a piece of kit that rolled the sides of the connector onto the wires in spade and spade socket connections worked every time they looked just like the wiring connectors on new Japanese looms.Said the tool was a lot of money and the connectors came in large packs.Wish I knew what the system was called -before he could tell me it was time to get on the track again.

timetraveller

VOC Member
In the Vehicle Wiring Products catalogue I have used the one Ref.AM2 (£3.57) for years. Dick Sherwin uses the more expensive (£17.35) Ref. DV5 which makes a beautiful job of the crimp.