...and so it begins.

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
That was one of Barry French's bikes. He had 2 Comets that I know of, and a red Rapide with a Steib sidecar attached. The Rapide is still for sale, but it is not an original red one. That might explain the red paint on some of the parts on this Comet, I had seen a box of left over spares and many of the parts were painted in red. The other Comet still lives up here in Qld and its owner has done a full resto on it. Your bike is a nice original bike, and I have seen it up close (in the back of a van) you don't see many Touring models here in Australia, and as suggested, it would be good to leave it in that condition........... The leaking carby is normal, mostly due to leaking fuel taps (leaking internally) this is more than the standard needle/seat in the float bowl can handle and the carb will drip, though it is not a fault, if the fuel supply is stopped properly, the carb will stop dripping. You have done the right thing by asking on this forum..........Good luck with it all......... Cheers....... Greg.

nkt267

VOC Member
If the lefthand footrest hanger is not bent then you can just replace/straighten the part the rubber fits on, it screws into the hanger and is locked by the thin nut..If the right hand hanger is bent the it can be straightened a LITTLE cold but if it's a big bend then it needs heating to cherry red (goodbye chrome)..
I run my Comet clutch cable down the left of the oil tank just go through the gap above the rubber then under the tank to get a smoother run into the gearbox..i think MartynG posted a pic on this site a while ago.
Just found the pics..12 Nov 2017. It's handy using the search box at the top of the page..John

Chris.R

VOC Member
I wish my Comet acquired last year was in the original trim yours is change as little as you can it is a gem.
Chris

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
Welcome form me and may I say the quality of your photography is astonishing. What camera etc? Oh and about the Comet - looks excellent.My policy was to follow the following procedure.
1 Start it - runs ok? If not find out why and fix.
2 Ride it - all OK? if not find out why and fix.
3 Look at it - nice? if not find out why and fix.

Have fun!

Ernie