Amanda Water Scooter An Unrestored One…

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Here is a job for someone who is interested in genealogy... As you will see from the attached image, Ted Davis says that Vincent Test rider, Johnny Penn's body was found on the Suffolk coast a few months after his disappearance whilst testing the Amanda. Ted claims that he is buried in Leiston. Bizarrely, that is the village where I work. I would love to find the grave to complete the story.

I have been unable to find a location or any details. Has anyone got any ideas? A death certificate would be a good start but I can't even find that. Was Johnny even his real name? How old would he have been at the time?

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'll see what else I can find..The newspaper report is 24 June 1958 Birmingham Daily Post

Attachments

• John Penn.png
    John Penn.png
    280.3 KB · Views: 52

Hump3

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I don't know how many Amandas survive or whether there's much of a following for them. I do know where there is a complete one that the owner wants shot of - if anyone's interested.

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
If we had been at West Mersea rather than a shallow mill-pond, I would have wanted a wet-suit, a life-jacket, a safety boat, and an Air-Sea Rescue hecilopter, and I would still have sent you first !
What about a Baker seat for Dick? He might need no instructions for its use. :)

Albervin

VOC Member
WOW. The big 200cc jobbie. My little 100cc unit starts very easily and is very loud without the factory silencer. At the moment I am using a lawnmower unit but would love an original. I am sure that if you fitted the factory "Lightning" kit with the 36mm Gardner carbs and expansion chambers it would make a great ski boat. I can see "Front Page Pete" towing the Red Baron down the Avon .......