Amanda Water Scooter An Unrestored One…

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There is a very select club for people who have successfully used the seat. I use the word "successfully" for good reason. I know a member and he says that no-one EVER wants to repeat the experience..

rapcom

VOC Member
Admitting the thread drift, I cannot resist noting that the ejector seat in question is properly named a Martin-Baker, from James Martin and Captain Valentine Baker. I have indeed sat on one, but did not need to use it. I had an old friend who did, and became an even greater part of aviation history than he already was, by being the first man ever to use a Martin-Baker bang-seat in extremis. He was testing an experimental jet flying wing which went unstable, and had to leave. After two bomber tours, a career as a test pilot, crop-dusting, survey flying, he died last August aged 100. I am proud to have known him.

Link to the Amanda---"Jo" Lancaster flew the Saunders-Roe jet Flying Boat Fighter !

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Admitting the thread drift, I cannot resist noting that the ejector seat in question is properly named a Martin-Baker, from James Martin and Captain Valentine Baker. I have indeed sat on one, but did not need to use it. I had an old friend who did, and became an even greater part of aviation history than he already was, by being the first man ever to use a Martin-Baker bang-seat in extremis. He was testing an experimental jet flying wing which went unstable, and had to leave. After two bomber tours, a career as a test pilot, crop-dusting, survey flying, he died last August aged 100. I am proud to have known him.

Link to the Amanda---"Jo" Lancaster flew the Saunders-Roe jet Flying Boat Fighter !
If he wld have flown every year in his 100yr-long-life, he wld hv had 130hrs/yr!!!