An antidote to panniers

Old Bill

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Another thing to watch with the magnets is don't leave mobile phone or cameras in the bottom of the bag, according to people who know about these things it can cause problems, my box brownie is ok though!!! Take care

Howard

VOC Member
I used an expanding tankbag for continental touring wayback ( http://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/index.php?media/camping-in-andorra.5246/ ). Having an alloy tank, it was attached with leather straps, which made it a bit of a pain getting to the filler cap, and travelling with a Z900 Kawasaki meant stopping every 120 miles to fill up. I dropped the Vin in a filling station one day, the tank bag slid over the side away from the sidestand and pulled the bike over - oh happy days!

H

Paul Ennis

VOC Member
A little tip:- Use non-slip matting between the tank and bag. I've got no rubbing marks or scratches after years of use.

ossie

VOC Member
thats what i use paul also stops barbaras cakes sliding about in the car boot [trunk for usa]
OSSIE

KennyNUT

Non-VOC Member
I use Kreiga kit.

Take a look at: http://www.kriega.com/categories/bike-packs/

You can mix and match what you need to whatever capacity you require and fit that either on the tank (with a protective rubber open mesh mat just like that provided for tool drawers), on the passenger seat and use a combination of US5, US 10 and US20 bag sizes.

I use a tank strap which allows the fitment of a US5 or a US10 bag. Over the rear seat its easy to attach a US20 and 2x US10 bags. They are not cheap, however they are waterproof. I have never had one leak yet.

Don't be put off by the pictures of motocrossers and modern day sports bikes. The straps are genius and they attach pretty much to any bike.

If you bought it and then decided to sell, they also sell for what almost what you paid on Ebay. No substitute for quality.

Only downside for some is that they are not hard luggage, however, again they are very robust indeed.

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
The problem that I have with throwovers and strapping stuff across the seat is that, if I am wearing waterproofs, I have trouble getting off the bike. Plan A is to park next to a kerb. Plan B is that I have fitted a Triumph prop stand.

Franki

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
My tank bag is a Cargo Endurance, which also expands up to a second height if needs be.

Tank%20Bag%202_zps01ahgcyy.jpg

Hello Nulli Secundus,
With reference to your photo displaying your tank bag, quite some time back. Am I right in thinking your Twin is fitted with an 8" front brake from the Spares Co? If so could you give me any info regarding their use. I want better front braking, would you recommend it?

Franki

Last edited by a moderator:

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hello Nulli Secundus,
With reference to your photo displaying your tank bag, quite some time back. Am I right in thinking your Twin is fitted with an 8" front brake from the Spares Co? If so could you give me any info regarding their use. I want better front braking, would you recommend it?

Franki

Hello Franki,

Yes my brakes are the 8" front brakes that the VOC Spares company sell.

I feel they are a great improvement over the standard brakes, although I admit with attention to detail the standard brakes can be made to work well.

I am not sure what info I can add with regards to their use other than two finger operation is adequate for casual braking and when you need more you can use all four.

Regards

David