An antidote to panniers

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I was going to post this on the pannier thread but thought it a bit cheeky, Panniers on my Vincent have never been a great requirement of mine I have said it before but its worth repeating what we need is a good tank top bag system. Unfortunately not only are we tank toppers in a minority, the cost of joining Baglux with a Vincent pattern is too high, and even the modified moto Guzzi route is costly (Since I don't know what MG one it was I don't know if the pattern nearest to Vincent tank shape is still available) so assuming we cant get a swap between different makes of bikes system going what's the best Vincent tank top solution?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I use a cheap one from Lidl, I think it's called B-Square, Held on with Magnets, Which still works over a tank cover, It expands if you need it to, And you can swap it from bike to bike. Cheers Bill.

bmetcalf

VOC Member

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
......... Panniers on my Vincent have never been a great requirement of mine I have said it before but its worth repeating what we need is a good tank top bag system. Unfortunately not only are we tank toppers in a minority, the cost of joining Baglux with a Vincent pattern is too high, and even the modified moto Guzzi route is costly (Since I don't know what MG one it was I don't know if the pattern nearest to Vincent tank shape is still available) so assuming we cant get a swap between different makes of bikes system going what's the best Vincent tank top solution?
I also find a tank bag very useful and used a cheap magnetic one until I had a new petrol tank made of aluminium. I now manage with straps right under the tank if I need to use it but this is clearly not as convenient. I have a Baglux on my Ducati with the cover tailored to fit the tank and it is excellent. I spoke about their tank bags to "the Baglux man" at a Stafford Classic Bike show a while back and he said they did a non tailored "cover" that should fit a Vincent. I didn't do anything about it at the time.
When the two of us go away for the weekend on the Rapide and I need more carrying capacity I use a pair of throw over panniers. The passenger can still sit comfortably on the seat and there is no problem about fitting pannier frames and other excess ironwork that is not required 90% of the time. I should point out that the rear of the Rapide is fully floating with a stay each side from the rear of the seat to the rear footrest plates. These stays help keep the bags out of the rear wheel aided by an aero elastic strap.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
My tank bag is a Cargo Endurance, which also expands up to a second height if needs be.

Tank%20Bag%202_zps01ahgcyy.jpg

tank%20bag_zpsmhq26vjf.jpg

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
I also find a tank bag very useful and used a cheap magnetic one until I had a new petrol tank made of aluminium. I now manage with straps right under the tank if I need to use it but this is clearly not as convenient. I have a Baglux on my Ducati with the cover tailored to fit the tank and it is excellent. I spoke about their tank bags to "the Baglux man" at a Stafford Classic Bike show a while back and he said they did a non tailored "cover" that should fit a Vincent. I didn't do anything about it at the time.
When the two of us go away for the weekend on the Rapide and I need more carrying capacity I use a pair of throw over panniers. The passenger can still sit comfortably on the seat and there is no problem about fitting pannier frames and other excess ironwork that is not required 90% of the time. I should point out that the rear of the Rapide is fully floating with a stay each side from the rear of the seat to the rear footrest plates. These stays help keep the bags out of the rear wheel aided by an aero elastic strap.
I tried to follow up on that 'non tailored' hint
For a start "Baglux" gets you nowhere" Bagster" seems to be the search phrase to get to the makers noadays. I think we are talking about their product called "Easy (universal fitting)" since I am at the Stafford show for two days I will see what I can find out. for me it will have to fit the Vincent tank and take my baglux bags from the BMW and other bikes which have a cover. Other than that it will be go individual for each bike basically the Vin will go magnetic which is a pain as I have two alloy tanked bikes whose needs it would be good to cover

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Tim,
Have a word with Brian Chapman.
He modified a Honda bagster tank cover to fit his Vin's.

The problem is with the offset tank fuel cap, which will give problems. If you have access to an industrial sowing machine it will be easy.

Neil

Old Bill

Non-VOC Member
Like Bill Thomas l have a Lidl cheapo tank bag brought about four years ago. Only got it as l could not get all my shopping into the BMW panniers, so back into the shop and twenty five quid later l am a happy bunny! It expands, has a waterproof cover and a good map pocket, you can unzip the bag which has shoulder straps ala rucksack and the magnetic base even has a map case. Used and abused for four years it's still in regular service, brilliant value! One thing to watch however is the fuel cap vent is not obstructed, fits standard Vin tank (with cover) a treat. Still come up for sale when they have their bikers offer on. Touratech also have a good range but most of their stuff costs a fortune! I don't live far from their Welsh base so when I can ride again l will see what fits a Vincent and report back. Happy touring!!!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Only trouble with the magnets, I think Dave Hills said, If you take it off be careful where you put it down, It will pick up any metal bits, And scratch your Tank Paint, Cheers Bill