An antidote to panniers

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I once had a V5 for a solo that under 'Type' did not have bicycle or motorcycle but articulated single tracko_Oso it must be on some arcane DVLA list
Thats the DVLA for you.
My Shadow when I got it registered came back as a "two wheeled motorcycle combination". I phoned and questioned the DVLA and it wasn't a problem correcting to motocycle but where did that category come from as the guy at DVLA agreeded a motorcycle combination has three wheels & not two.

Simon

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Harro Elefantenboy on a twin

Attachments

• sybilles bilder 379.jpg
    sybilles bilder 379.jpg
    699.2 KB · Views: 18

Colin

VOC Member
Thats the DVLA for you.
My Shadow when I got it registered came back as a "two wheeled motorcycle combination". I phoned and questioned the DVLA and it wasn't a problem correcting to motocycle but where did that category come from as the guy at DVLA agreeded a motorcycle combination has three wheels & not two.

Simon
Blimey Simon, you must have got the only person in the DVLA who knows ANYTHING about motorbikes, Perhaps the only one who knows anything, about vehicles, period
When I had Siebenrock barrels put on my BMW R80G/S to uprate it from 800cc to 980cc and advised the DVLA I very specifically advised the ENGINE had not been changed only Barrels and pistons as they had been damaged and required replacement. I got a reply back, asking for an engineers report from the engineer who CHANGED the engine and the number or the new engine. I reiterated NO CHANGE OF ENGINE, and the same idiot then asked for a report from the Manufacturer of the NEW engine (it's a 1984 bike just been rebuilt) I then contacted the Complaints Dept to point out NO CHANGE OF ENGINE and the stupid requests, the Complaints Dept then passed my complaint to the fool who had made the demands (NOT requests "you MUST") in the first place!!!. When finally they accepted that the engine was the same just some repairs they asked for a report from an engineer or the Manufacturer that the renovation/repair was satisfactory I gave them the detailed bill from the engineer who did the job for me,and the response was I must have an independant engineer, give the report!!!!!
I complained again to the Chief Executive ,said I had been inconvenienced and put to expense by incompetence and asked for compensation for my excess expenses. I then got a letter from the Complaints Dept effectively saying we don't like paying compensation as it can only come "out of the Public Purse" I did finally get £30, but no such thing as an apology
This was I think my 4th complaint to the DVLA for their staggering incompetence
The problem is you HAVE to deal with them thereis no alternative, they have no competition, and no incentive to improve, despite the crap on the bottom of correspondence "Customer Service Excellence" "Investors in People" Positive about Disabled People" and CSE whatever that is

vibrac

VOC Member
When I put a Triumph engine in my Greves frame one letter said that they did not accept that anyone would produce an engine with 498cc and not 500cc ( I had supplied a dating certificate for the engine -1959) and it was refused. Before I could calm down enough to reply the post man arrived with a v5 go figure!