For daytrips I like this small tankbag

Attachments

• IMG_3758[1].JPG
    IMG_3758[1].JPG
    599.3 KB · Views: 75

Colin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Glen. As soon as I posted that I realised someone would comment on the panniers on the BMW. The panniers were left EMPTY on the trip, which was a month long tour from England across Europe and down to Greece and back by a different route. It was hot generally but we always rode with proper leathers, helmets, boots, gloves etc. At any stop we simply stuffed all the kit in the empty panniers which were locked to the bike, the , trailer was locked to the bike, and the bike was double locked with a steering lock and a chain which also secured our helmets We could then explore without any clutter. We never had a problem with theft or attempted theft, except someone stole the St Georges flag off the trailer!
BUT I did have my wife on the back, and as anyone knows, women need the odd extra something on any trip! The available space was handy for the odd extra bagette, or absolute bargain from the supermarket ,that simply had to be bought. Who am I to disagree.
Marcus. The trailer was slightly narrower than the BMW and I never had a problem with filtering once I had got used to the extra length. Nor did we have any problems with speed limits. In general we cruised at between 60 and 70 mph depending on roads, what we wanted to see etc. The trailer hitch was obviously of the rotating type and we just cornered and generally rode exactly as we would have done without one. once I had got used to it Braking distances were never a problem, perhaps a fraction longer, and fuel consumption seemed the same at out fairly modest speeds. I am convinced a trailer is much easier all round than a heavily loaded bike, but as a 5feet 6inch, 9 stone lightweight, octogenarian, I would wouldn't I!
We did have two very amusing incidents in Italy ,related to the trailer, and if anyone is really interested I will post it here
Bruce I'll see what I can find, the Egli Hitch was made to be quickly detachable and at the moment is just that------ Detached

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Hi Colin
Just kidding on the pannier comment. Looks like you have things worked out very well.
Parking a fully loaded bike with Panniers and Top box can be a bit tricky at times, particularly if one has to inch his way back to the rear stand while balancing the loaded bike. A passenger who can assist in keeping the bike upright is helpful. The Dave Hills type centre stand is perhaps an even bigger help.

I can see that avoiding the whole procedure by using a trailer has its merits.

Glen

Colin

VOC Member
One of the interesting encounters in Italy was meeting Marilena in a petrol station cafe. She was intrigued by the trailer and our trip and insisted on photos with us the bike, trailer etc
Again who am I to disagree, since it is pretty rare for me to be propositioned by attractive young Italian ladies! (Pretty rare???? Once only!!!)

Attachments

• 2010 photos 028.jpg
    2010 photos 028.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 2010 photos 029.jpg
    2010 photos 029.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 2010 photos 027.jpg
    2010 photos 027.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 45

Colin

VOC Member
Ohh 'eck. I notice something has migrated from the trailer onto the rear carrier, clearly something too big for the panniers. It looks like the sleeping bags as we camped and all the way except for ferry crossings

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Colin, I very much doubt that it had anything to do with the trailer, it was the bandana worn by yourself that was so attractive, well, to the ladies anyway.

Colin

VOC Member
Bruce.
Egli with trailer

Attachments

• 2012 Annual rally & Citroen Harrogate Rally 001.jpg
    2012 Annual rally & Citroen Harrogate Rally 001.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 2012 Annual rally & Citroen Harrogate Rally 002.jpg
    2012 Annual rally & Citroen Harrogate Rally 002.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 49

erik

VOC Member
The Speed Limit for a motorcycle with Trailer is 60 km/h in Germany. Autobahn not allowed.Erik

vibrac

VOC Member
I once had a V5 for a solo that under 'Type' did not have bicycle or motorcycle but articulated single tracko_O so it must be on some arcane DVLA list