PR: Proprietary Items Ammeter

Texas John

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
So mid-1948 series B machine would use: A) Miller with no-lighthouse and with text and "No.75V" on the face or B) Miller in a diamond shape with no-lighthouse, no-text, "No. 75V" and "No. 832" showing on the face?
Thanks.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
So mid-1948 series B machine would use: A) Miller with no-lighthouse and with text and "No.75V" on the face or B) Miller in a diamond shape with no-lighthouse, no-text, "No. 75V" and "No. 832" showing on the face?
Thanks.
I would say most probably No.75V with the text:
No75V.JPG

The Miller in a diamond with No.75 & No 832 is a lot later and probably from the mid 1950's onwards and usually seen on Velocette bikes from late 1950's onwards.

Simon

Albervin

VOC Member
I would say most probably No.75V with the text:
View attachment 32807

The Miller in a diamond with No.75 & No 832 is a lot later and probably from the mid 1950's onwards and usually seen on Velocette bikes from late 1950's onwards.

Simon
I think early Series C used that style as well. I also think a lot of very early Series B bikes used the left over Series A stuff such as the steel drums, torque arm springs, twin choke levers and the Miller electrical harness. Of course they changed the 8" rim and lens plus switch but that was up to Miller not Vincent. I have always been fascinated by the early use of the Miller brake light switch. I know the "A" Rapides used Lucas electrics but were the round Miller brake light switches ever fitted to the Series A singles? And why, when everything else was Miller did Vincent fit Lucas brake light switches? Over to you.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Basically Vincent used whatever Miller provided at the time.

Ref series A. Looking in my 1939 Miller catalogue, the only brake light switch listed is 29EI which I think went with rear light 29E. This brake switch is a small rectangular in shape with what appears to be a mounting bracket built in that clamps around a tube. I have never seen one fitted to a series A and also the original rear Miller light 35E fitted to series A singles can only take a single filament bulb so only a rear light and no brake light. The replica 35E available today though can take a dual filament bulb and operate as a brake light.

I'm not sure exactly when brake lights became a legal requirement in UK but it was sometime in the 1930's so how Vincent ensured the last of the series A conformed I don't know, or maybe they didn't?

Scan_12-03-2020_0920.jpg

Simon

vibrac

VOC Member
1936 was the date of introduction of stop lights however if you have. No lights that includes a stop light but a reflector at the rear is mandatory

John Appleton

VOC Member
1936 was the date of introduction of stop lights however if you have. No lights that includes a stop light but a reflector at the rear is mandatory
Tim, if you look at the class 1 MOT inspection manual, section 4, 8. 1, you will see that if no front or rear positional lamps are fitted, or are permanently covered, then NO other light is required and a reflector is not required either. John

vibrac

VOC Member
Tim, if you look at the class 1 MOT inspection manual, section 4, 8. 1, you will see that if no front or rear positional lamps are fitted, or are permanently covered, then NO other light is required and a reflector is not required either. John
That means my Grey Flash road kit is down to a bolt on rubber number plate and a bulb horn and some sticky tape over the racing plates (bicycle speedo is permanently attached) the way things are going the 'local loop' is the only ride I will get on it this year
:(:(

John Appleton

VOC Member
That means my Grey Flash road kit is down to a bolt on rubber number plate and a bulb horn and some sticky tape over the racing plates (bicycle speedo is permanently attached) the way things are going the 'local loop' is the only ride I will get on it this year
:(:(
Yes, that is ok, provided the machine is pre 1973 (which it no doubt is). After 73 a bulb horn is NOT acceptable.Post 73 the horn "must emit a continuous sound, and not be harsh or grating" (Testers manual section 7.7.7)