PR: Proprietary Items Ammeter

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The Lighthouse ammeter is definitely used on series A singles and I have also seen it on early series B machines from 1946 and 1947 and may have been used even later. I have several Miller parts catalogues from somewhere and will try and find them.

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Maybe the ammeters on the batch of bikes I am referring to, built in late 1952, are an anomaly. That batch also had solid Bowden clutch and brake levers.

Albervin

VOC Member
Maybe the ammeters on the batch of bikes I am referring to, built in late 1952, are an anomaly. That batch also had solid Bowden clutch and brake levers.
Now THAT is weird. My B has Bowden twin choke levers and Amal clutch, valve lifter and brake levers. I thought Series C had Amal clutch and brake levers, Amal choke levers and Bowden valve lifter.I have never heard of post war bikes with solid clutch and brake levers.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Found two Miller spares parts books.

The first is dated 1939 and shows a lighthouse ammeter in the sketch of parts with the part number 832 in the list and this is fitted to all the various 8" headlight unit assemblies Miller listed.

The second parts book is dated 1954 and under the HRD section it lists the ammeter as 75V/832. This sort of indicates either 75V or 832 was used and probably Miller supplied whatever they had in stock at the time.

Simon

Albervin

VOC Member
I am pretty sure mine came with that style, and the near showroom original Bob Chantland bike, only a few numbers apart, has that style. Exceptions, or still the norm at that time?

(edited) Sorry, forgot to mention, both of those bikes were built late 1952.
Steve, look more closely at the pictures in my post. The ammeter screws are hidden and the amp lines are heavy block. Never seen that before.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Steve, look more closely at the pictures in my post. The ammeter screws are hidden and the amp lines are heavy block. Never seen that before.
Also if you look the discharge is to the right on the eBay ammeter which is not something I have ever seen on an original which should have the discharge to the left.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Sorry, when I said “that style”, I was referring to the one in Simon’s post #2.

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
Pic of the 2 lighthouse ammeters I have and even they are each different in the scale The discharge is to the left As on the other pic of my other ammeters As to the one on eBay I have seen ammeters with no screws or Philips head screws which I thought were the new ones available from VOC spares and elsewhere

Attachments

• IMG_2453.JPG
    IMG_2453.JPG
    311.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2454.JPG
    IMG_2454.JPG
    296.7 KB · Views: 46