PR: Proprietary Items Ammeter

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Could you knowledgable folk tell me the correct ammeter for a 1949 Series C machine. I have several but I bet I do not have one correct for this period. The bike is a mixture of B and C (all correct) so the ancillaries could be almost anything available. While I am at it maybe the headlight lens was not a plain flute? The bike is not going to be concourse but I would like it to look correct.
Thanks.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Most probably this one. Don't forget Vincent basically fitted whatever Miller delivered that day as seen with the 8" & 6.5" Miller headlights in 1948.
The headlight shell, lens, ammeter switch and wiring loom all came into the factory as one assembled item and Vincent then just fitted the lot in one go to a bike. The Vincent factory didn't select the ammeter or fit it to the headlight shell.

Attachments

• IMG_1439.JPG
    IMG_1439.JPG
    291.6 KB · Views: 64

Albervin

VOC Member
Thanks Simon. That is the one I have on my 1948 Rapide. I wasn't sure if it was still current in mid 1949. And yes, I do not have a spare one.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Would that same ammeter have been commonly supplied by Miller in late 1952?

Albervin

VOC Member
My inclination is no. The very early Lighthouse items from Series A Singles have appeared on 1946 Vincents. Then the No. 75. When the Series C hit its straps it seemed it was the white face No. 75 No. 832 was the main ammeter from 1950.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I am pretty sure mine came with that style, and the near showroom original Bob Chantland bike, only a few numbers apart, has that style. Exceptions, or still the norm at that time?

(edited) Sorry, forgot to mention, both of those bikes were built late 1952.

Last edited:

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Here is an earlier discussion. I thought the lighthouse version was early, and the 75v wording was later, but who knows when the transition occurred.

Albervin

VOC Member
Steve, the Lighthouse was certainly pre-war on the singles. The twins used Lucas electrics. Never seen an 832 (as opposed to No75- 832) on a pre-war machine. As I don't have a Series A anymore I cannot verify the face. 1946 and early 1947 machines had Lighthouse and No. 75 with wording. I have no idea if and when there was a transition. Totally up to Miller. However, I doubt there was a Lighthouse unit fitted originally to a 1948 model. I will stand corrected by Simon and Jacqueline but I doubt a No 75 with wording was fitted after 1950. Velocettes used similar electrics and they have a similar cut-off for these. The confusion seems to be 832 as this appears on pre-war and post war ammeters. It would be nice if the VOC spares company could have the faces made. Hint. Hint.......