Amazing

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The destructive power of the Vincent engine.
P4060125.JPG
P7180136.JPG

Always remember they were running to get to that stage.

timetraveller

VOC Member
If we are going to guess at what caused it I would suggest a blocked annular oil way at the feed end of the crank pin. Most of the engines which I have taken apart with iffy big end had that problem. If one goes for the oversized crank pin then the annular groove is not there and there is nowhere for the dirt in the engine to centrifuge to. I know that it goes through the bearings but modern filters and oils should help. It is one of the reasons that I like twin start oil pumps; get and keep the dirt moving and stop it blocking things up.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Judging by the discolouration it was not lack of oil, but lack of oil changes. A big end is the only thing I have found 2 or4 stroke which can weld aluminium to steel!

Albervin

VOC Member
As Trev says, the bike was running up to the point it stopped. All that damage did not happen in a second. I say the only other bike I have ever owned that was as resilient as a Vincent engine was a 1972 Honda 750 4. It ended up stopping when the camshaft seized but it must have been oil starved for hundreds, if not thousands, of miles.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Careful clean up with a file and a bit of emery tape on that lot........You'll get another 10 to 15 thousand miles out of it ............;)
Charley Taylor had a customer that insisted on a new big end even after inspection, so he complied and used the old pin with oversize rollers in his own bike!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think the Oil Pump Teeth wore out ?, I think there is enough Oil Splash/Mist, To lube the Bigend, If the feed hole was blocked, Unless it was Raced !.
I also think the rider had Good Ear Plugs !!. Cheers Bill.