Amal Concentric Tuning

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
David, My head hurts !!, So much info', My Ex L/ning is running so well on 28mm Mk1, It's just the starting after a stop of 10 min' or more, ie, not cold, I have to flood the back carb a Nats', My brother Ron uses the choke on his Comet, Something we have never done befor, I don't have them on mine, Maybe the float level is too low ?, I am sure it's this Petrol, Or Pee, They are selling us !!, I have not messed up a plug for so long I am frightened to touch the carbs, I do a lot of slow work through the forest, 40 mph max ! But it is also going well higher up, 70 to 90 on very small throttle openings, I thought with only 28mm carb's, It would round to the stop all the time. Cheers Bill.

Howard

VOC Member
I've used both those web sites, there's a lot of good info, and my 32 mm Mk1s are set better than ever now.

I agree Bill, starting is a black art, you never know whether to tickle them or not - better with electric start. I've never used chokes, just flood the carbs for first start - mind you, for first start on cold winter days I have the HW patented chokes, two pieces of foam plastic pipe insulation pushed into the bellmouths - works a treat.

H

davidd

VOC Member
David, My head hurts !!, So much info', My Ex L/ning is running so well on 28mm Mk1, It's just the starting after a stop of 10 min' or more, ie, not cold, I have to flood the back carb a Nats', My brother Ron uses the choke on his Comet, Something we have never done befor, I don't have them on mine, Maybe the float level is too low ?, I am sure it's this Petrol, Or Pee, They are selling us !!, I have not messed up a plug for so long I am frightened to touch the carbs, I do a lot of slow work through the forest, 40 mph max ! But it is also going well higher up, 70 to 90 on very small throttle openings, I thought with only 28mm carb's, It would round to the stop all the time. Cheers Bill.

Well, at least you seem to have found a solution. I have 32 mm on the Egli and the starting has always been good with no chokes. In the early days I had a problem with cold starts. It was most likely aided by a weak magneto. If the mixture was richened, it would start first kick. I carried a "Dristan" squeeze bottle with petrol in it. I would open up the slides and give a little squeeze in each carb. I would only do it in the morning usually, but once in a while after sitting all day. The 28 mm's should certainly pull well and it sounds like they do!

David

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello David, Yes I have blamed sparks and everything ! Even Me !!, The funny thing is with the TT carbs it would start befor I had finished the swing ! Then they kept wetting the plugs, I have a crack in one of the heads and was Thinking too much, I worry about everything. With the mk1 Con's they made a Lot of changes, And I bought mine at a Boot Fair, So God knows what I have bought. And with Big Sid's Balls in the handle bars !! It was a pleasure to ride at 70 + the other day, Felt like I could ride all day. All The Best, Bill.

Tug Wilson

Non-VOC Member
Hello David, Yes I have blamed sparks and everything ! Even Me !!, The funny thing is with the TT carbs it would start befor I had finished the swing ! Then they kept wetting the plugs, I have a crack in one of the heads and was Thinking too much, I worry about everything. With the mk1 Con's they made a Lot of changes, And I bought mine at a Boot Fair, So God knows what I have bought. And with Big Sid's Balls in the handle bars !! It was a pleasure to ride at 70 + the other day, Felt like I could ride all day. All The Best, Bill.
Bit worried about big Sid's balls in the handlebars, I thought he was a nice guy! RIP Sid.