Amal carbs

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Insurance first: this is a DVLA idea, probably a make-work scheme (I suspect that DVLA is entirely a make-work scheme) but there is a get-out clause. If a bike is SORN'd, it needn't be insured. I believe they must think its easier to impose constant insurance than to stir off their lazy arses to check insurance before granting a tax disc. (Remember too that MCN is written by journalists: they're paid to make up shock! horror! stories that sell newspapers, not to tell the truth.)
It won't make much difference to me, with a Carol Nash rider policy for several old bikes, because I want the fire and theft cover - so I keep them all insured year round. When the road tax reminder comes in I automatically SORN the bike, then decide if I want to ride it any time soon. If I do (the Vincent...) I go through the make-work scheme of MOT, then get it taxed. Some are only SORN'd for a few weeks. I have 9 bikes (I think - gosh, how must the poor live with only one or two...), and about 6 of these are on SORN at any time. I could insure the two SORN'd bikes that aren't in the Carol Nash policy (not old enough) F and T only. They aren't worth enough to make it worthwhile, and may well be covered on my house insurance simply as possessions.
If you think that in DVLA the chimps are running the zoo, and they've lost all sight of what they were set up to do, I couldn't disagree. It's what Whitehall does: implement a deficient system at huge cost, and on finding that it doesn't work, impose more conditions on the users (us) to conceal this.

As to fuel, write to your MP. Tell him, or her, that the DfT-commissioned Qinetic report shows that ANY vehicle over ten years old is likely to dissolve its fuel system using 10% ethanol fuel. Point out the disaster that looms at a motorway junction near you as cars ignite.
(There's more ammunition in this months MPH, but my instinct is to focus not on bikes, but on Mr and Mrs Jones and their four kids, torched on the M25...)
One has to separate Whitehall from Westminster: observe U-turn Dave (Westminster), he quite clearly recognises that he is only PM so long as his vote goes the right way. First sign of widespread disapproval and he's out of there. (Forests, anyone?). Whitehall, the Civil Service, has no such worries, until politicians, fearing for their seats, put the pressure on. Ask yourself why Belgium doesn't suffer under "the iron heel of Brussels". Why they don't GAF for Brussels? Why in fact the rest of Europe doesn't? It's because they don't have Whitehall gold-plating often quite unexceptional suggestions, confident that Brits will tug their forelocks and obey. And blame Brussels! Result!!
Looking at "it would be a good idea to use bio-fuels but only up to 10%" being translated into "we'll impose 10% ethanol fuel" tells you all you need to know.
Note also that "a cynic" is what an idealist calls a realist...

Last edited by a moderator:

John Cone

VOC Member
I know this is going off my original thread but this regards SORN. At onetime before my lad came along i was wealthy enough to tax & insure my 2 1978 jap bikes as well as running the B/Prince. I then decided to take one of them ,the Yamaha off the road and carried on using the Honda. A few years later they brought out SORN, because in the year previous i had taxed the Honda they sent the annual reminder to renew or declare SORN. I then rang the DVLA and asked "Do i have to declare SORN on my Yamaha" they replied no because it hadn't been taxed in the year prior to SORN coming out and you don't have to declare it. Is there anyone else in this position.

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Hi John, I have a Hercules motorcycle that has not been taxed since 1979, and as has not been sorn'd. I understand that machines that were not taxed for a while prior to the sorn, are now on a Dormant register at the DVLA. At least, I hope that it is, 'cause it is the only one in the country and one day, I'll resurrect it and then it will have to follow the rules as they stand now. I do not know if there is access to this dormant register by the public. Does anyone know? Cheers, ET43

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
my '78 harley has been "off the road" since before sorn was introduced. never had a reminder, better yet no fine. i reckon the next owner can worry about it!

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
I guess I'd better start wearing rubber gloves when pouring vodka...

Hi John, I think it all depends on who supplies the new Amal carbs. Items from Burlen Fuel Systems which are of the type as fitted when the machines were new, are made in the UK to exacting standards, the Mk1 and Mk11's were made in Spain, but production is now being implemented in the UK. The costings are horrendous, so Burlen are re-jigging old tooling. All jets and the like are reamed to size and are not drilled like some of the other Amals on the market. The actual flow rate of the other Amals can vary by two or three sizes. New models of Mk1 and Mk11 will not be available until much later this year. All Amal products are proof against E10 fuel. Talking of which, after two months, the ethanol separates from the other chemicals and sinks to the bottom of your tank along with the water which is drawn into the tank by the hygroscopic action of the ethanol, so when you start your beloved Vin up, firstly it will spiot and fart about and when it finally lights up, you will be drawing pure ethanol through the rubber fuel pipes which will be gradually eaten away. So, if you do not ride often, DRAIN THE TANK, and perhaps it is an idea to shake the thing before a ride.
Ethanol attacks zinc and galvanised steel, brass, copper, lead/tin coated steel, some alloys, neoprene urathane rubber, bura-n-seals, polyeurothene, some polymers, nylon66, fibreglass reinforced polyester, some epoxy resins, shellac and cork. Pretty desperate stuff. When handling it, wear gloves and do not breathe in the fumes. And on that note, I'm off. ET43

pentrehalkyn

New Forum User
VOC Member
Hi I have a pair of new amals, no rattles and have improved starting and power, first kick 99% of the time from cold. So it would be worth replacing them. victor

vibrac

VOC Member
One remaining question about the E10 Ethanol fuel comming in.I have read a lot (including a sheet ET43 has produced) Its all reasonably clear, but one thing I cannot seem to find out.What goose juice can I use to remove the old tank liner that is melting into glue and flapping about inside one of my tanks?
( before retreating with a more resistant liner.)
I have about 5 gallons of racing methanol left would that do the trick?
incidentally when using methanol for 2 seasons I did not get much paint run-methanol stain on my admittedly ropey tank-reason?
I coated it with common or garden wood type Polyrethane varnish from a can!

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Right, pin your lug holes back and cop a load of this. The chemicals listed are extremely explosive, corrosive and generally very nasty, so if you choose to use them, do so out in the fresh air wearing a mask, eye protection and gloves. Also have a fire extinguisher handy, not that I'm trying to scare you or anything. It is my belief that acetone will not dissolve thick areas of tank sealer. It might work on something like Kreem, but that's about all. The chemicals listed should preferably be used only on metal fuel tanks, as pretty well all those mentioned will melt fibreglass. If they get on the outside of your tank you can kiss your paint job goodbye. It is possible that Vibrac's lacquer finish on his tank was resistant enough for surface contact and that's about all.
The chemicals are, Methyl-ethyl-ketone, as found in some paint strippers, Metylene Chloride, Dichloromethane, Xylene, Trichloroethane and Butanone. Some of these are available from the same people that sell sealers, but generally most folks do not know what they are selling, and prices do vary by enormous amounts. You will have to do your own brand research. Generally, if this muck is introduced into a tank, it will gradually break down the liner, which will come away in flakes, so the process has to be repeated often. Some merchants advocate putting nuts, screws, washers and bolts, - sounds like a joke - in the tanks and shaking it. One lunatic said that it was best to put the tank into a cement mixer, but I think that he wrapped it into a blanket first. Don't laugh, I'm just reporting the facts.
One could of course set the thing alight and burn the stuff out, or one could cut the bottom of the tank out, or even wash out the tank with Acetone and apply several layers of the correct liner and end up with a two gallon tank.
As to the fuel standing for a while, one could use a non alcoholic fuel stabilser which helps to stop condensation forming in the tank, and holds the water generated in the fuel in suspension. I would suggest that this additive would be essential as the EEC countries seem to be selling fuel that already has a 10% ethanol content in it, although I think that you can still buy sans plom in France, BUT, it appears that the pump handle colours are similar. Can any of our French members comment please.
As to GRP tanks, despite what the manufactures' say, it is possible to remove line material using the above stuff, but you must keep on prodding the inside of the tank, and just as it starts to go soft, get it out, wash the tank out and do it all again. How do I know, well, I have used Nitromores paint stripper to remove heavy paint from GRP tanks, but you must keep a careful eye on the surface as if left too long it will eat into the 'glass. If anyone wants the little article I wrote please contact me on philprimmer@btinternet.co, and I'll send you a copy. Good Luck. ET43 Caveat Emptor and all that.