Aluminum Push Rods

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My twin, ex Chris Williams has 3 alloy pushrods in it ( the 4th damaged an end,my fault) just set them as usual,no problems yet, but only done 7k miles so far.

davidd

VOC Member
I have used plain aluminum push rods just turned on the lathe. No anodizing, no steel ends, and they work fine. My friend Henry made them. He originally made them of 7075 and they bent quite readily. Apparently, 7075 is high strength, but when heated its strength does not do as well as some of the other alloys. I think the second pair were 2024 which was lower strength, but the hot strength is pretty good. I hope that I have remembered that correctly. Plain aluminum ends are fine if you spend some time matching them to the cups.

So far the growth of the aluminum has not seemed to be an issue. It may be that the rod is short enough that it is not a big issue. You can always check them hot and adjust them and then check them cold to see what the clearance feels like.

David

litnman

VOC Member
Dave Matson says he uses 2024 or 2017 solid pushrods with no problem. I have made some with 2024 and yes, the socket in the lifter and adjuster needs to be perfect.

A_HRD

VOC Member
So far the growth of the aluminum has not seemed to be an issue. It may be that the rod is short enough that it is not a big issue. You can always check them hot and adjust them and then check them cold to see what the clearance feels like.

David

I'm not surprised that the growth of the alloy rod has not been an issue. Yes it will grow in length; but so will the alloy engine between the crankcase and head. Better in many respects than the low expansion stainless ones which go rattly when hot!

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

clevtrev

VOC Member
I'm not surprised that the growth of the alloy rod has not been an issue. Yes it will grow in length; but so will the alloy engine between the crankcase and head. Better in many respects than the low expansion stainless ones which go rattly when hot!

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

What makes you think an engine will grow in length between head and cases ? You`ve four rather large steel rods holding it together, do they grow as well ?

A_HRD

VOC Member
Point taken Trev. But that still doesn't explain the loose tappet clearances, when hot, with std pushrods.

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

vibrac

VOC Member
Point taken Trev. But that still doesn't explain the loose tappet clearances, when hot, with std pushrods.

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Of course with most motorcycles there would be only one way to settle this.
A table of metal expansion rates, some measuring tools, and a good knowledge of vincents, trig, and other mathematical wiles.
With a Vincent there is another way
With a Vincent you can be sure someone has worked it all out years ago, probably with a slide rule (remember them?) and its just a case of finding what MPH its written up in
Problem is either way takes a lot of time....

Spqreddie

VOC Member
French alternative - steel

Dear David and all,
Please find, by following the link, some photos and infomation regarding a French alternative for push rods wich I’ve discovered during Christmas time while in holyday over there:
http://www.auvergnemotosclassiques.c...p.php?article8

Specs are unfortunately written in French but I’ll try to translate the basics features for who don’t speak French.
I spoke with the guy over the phone and he is really nice and experienced in Vincent engines I understood (he also used to work with Godet).
Anyway the offered pushrods are not aluminum but empty steel tubes.
here a summary of the main features and a picture,

• Rod ends machined from high performance steel pressed into an aeronautics quality steel tube.
  • Gain in weight saving: original 44 grams this one’s average weight 22 grams each.
  • Increased rigidity due to the tubular shape of the road allowing use in high performance engines
  • Custom made, therefore can be made on special length
  • 40 Euro a pair (55 USD +/-)

p9100001.jpg

davidd

VOC Member
Edmundo,

Thanks very much. They look well-made and unlike the Smith Bros. push rods they appear to have more clearance for the cups. Quite a bit more money though!

David