Aluminium brakes

atreyu

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Can anyone supply alloy brake hubs with iron liners? I've read a bit on the forum in the past but I can't remember if there was ever a supplier?

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
As far as I know, there never has been a supplier of aluminum Vincent brake drums. Several members have made small numbers for themselves or their friends, but nothing that is for retail, as far as I know.

David

Albervin

VOC Member
The Series A Rapides had alloy drums with iron liners as an option to the terrible spun steel drums. As far as post war bikes the only ones I have seen have been made in the shed by very clever people.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I tried sending you a private message but it will not go, possibly because you are a non member. Email me on enw07@btinternet.com after the first week in September and I might be able to introduce you to someone who has made some of these.

atreyu

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I will email you timetraveler.

If anyone else knows of anyone that may have some please let me know.

I will make my own set if I have to but I was hoping to save some time as obviously it wouldn't be an evening job!

vibrac

VOC Member
I pondered making a ribbed alloy muff for another bike with a pressed /Spun steel hub the two points I thought of were there seems a slight taper on the outside of the drum so I would have to replicate that inside the muff (possible) or machine the outside of drum paralel (not a good idea?) the second pont is on a seven inch drum as the alloy expands faster than the steel drum when hot I guess I would need a lot of interference( just how much?) and I guess that would distort the drum so it would need a inner skim and as the spokes also fit to the drum that would have to be done after building. anyone done this and got any figures?

Cyborg

VOC Member
I owned a Rapide back in the 70’s that had finned alloy muffs on the front brakes. Don’t know any of the details as they were on the bike when purchased.

stu spalding

VOC Member
Some years ago I saw a comet with alloy muffs with a single, very large fin, about 2" deep. No further info I'm afraid. Cheers, Stu.