Misc: Charging Systems Altons and Lithium

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Like many I have been drawn to lithium batteries, Where apart from the cost their light weight and power for a given size made them seem the ideal choice for an electric start project in the restricted space of a Vincent. However I was talking to a very knowledgeable and competent engineer recently and he said he had decided not to fit one on his Vincent as he had suspicions (that he could not seem to get refuted) that the Alton was a single phase generator and that the cyclic rising and falling output so produced could have a detrimental effect on a lithium battery and that in turn that might precipitate a fire/explosion. He also pointed out that this pronounced sine wave effect was not present on a three phase alternator like a crankshaft Lucas type.
As my electrical knowledge stops just short of positive or negative earth I wonder if anyone here feels able to comment.

timetraveller

VOC Member
First let me say that I have never worked on an Alton but this does not sound likely There has to be a rectifier in the system which will only allow current to flow in one direction. There is a difference between full wave rectification and a simpler system and it is possible that there is still some ripple on top of the DC current, say plus or minus a volt on top of a 13 volt output, produced by the device. Think about it. If half the time there was a (say) positive output and the other half of the time a negative output then the battery would be being discharged half the time. Anyone with an Alton and a simple oscilloscope could check this in moments. Over to those who know more than me.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Thinking I needed to replace a battery I looked up the Shorai that Big Ed (?) recommended. Maximum charge rate was listed at 4 amps so I wondered if they would be safe with a Walkernator?

vibrac

VOC Member
Lets hope there are some oscilloscope jockies out there who can measure an alton or who have used an alton with a Lithium for some time an exploding lithium battery is not a good idea..

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I use a lithium-ion battery with an Alton and is OK so far but then not many miles this year and only bought the battery last year after getting the starter fitted.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I do know that there are several riders who use a Walkernator with a Lion battery for starting. They are happy with that combination and have been for several years but I do not know which make or model of battery they are using.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I had a Li battery and Alton combo for 7000 miles or so. The battery melted, destroying both Alton & Podtronics.
We were 1200 miles from home at the time.
Dropped a big lawn tractor battery in the top box, hooked it to the electrical feed and continued on. I checked the remaining voltage at every stop, charged with plug in AC charger at night. That method got us home.

Glen

ericg

VOC Member
Alton, Podtronic regulator, Shorai Lithium Iron 14 amps, no problem so far in 8 years and 35000 miles.
Day light compulsory here in France.