Alton

Comet Rider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Alton's

Justin,
They're not exactly the same, as the Comet one is more like the Lucas style drive, (parallelshaft, with woodruf key) but try contact Paul Hamon by e-mail, he's very helpfull.

Neil

nkt267

VOC Member
The failed 3 phase Alton I had on my Comet was a taper shaft to fit the standard dynamo pinion.The one that I got back in place of a repair is single phase and is supplied with a parrallel shaft and a new nylon pinion.Maybe there is some standardization going on here.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Altons

My first (three phase) alton had a "Vincent" drive. The replacement single phase had the same. No nylon pinion though, both used the original Vincent parts PD28/3 and PD15/1 with Alton-supplied PD17/AS and "PD33" - which is part of the Alton drive shaft. And a 6mm capscrew to hold it all together. Answering Justin's question I'm virtually certain that all that differentiates a Vincent Alton from one for a Velo is the drive arrangement.

JustinGlory

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Stong of heart, weak of charge

Hi Tom,
I'll send you a note later today. I'm going to send the Alton back to France for repair, but was curious if it will return "bolt in"...
Justin

nkt267

VOC Member
Hi Justin.I got my new alton 2 weeks ago it 'bolts straight in.You dont use the dynamo seal anymore just silicon sealant as the new nylon pinion does not have a shoulder to run in the seal.Just follow any directions you get from alton..John

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Altons AND OIL LEAKS

Reminded (thanks...) by Nikita 267........

The standard Vincent twin set-up assumes that the chaincase is NOT being pressurised by leakage through the main bearings and that all that is needed is the oil-flinger PD28/3 for a leakproof chaincase. If, however the chaincase IS being pressurised, just possibly because MY breather system was sub-optimal, a perfectly mixed cloud of oil-soaked air is vented via the dynamo drive to separate out covering the rear end of the bicycle with an oil film. But........evil twist of fate........dripping only from locations remote from the real source. Many hours were spent "curing" leak sources near these locations before the penny dropped. Squeezing half a cubic metre of silicon between Alton and chaincase resulted in a (relatively) pristine bike.
In the next thrilling episode: how our hero fixed the goddam breather....

VinParts

Non-VOC Member
It broke.

Justin, can you let me know how you get on with getting a new unit out of Alton and you might like to point out to them that the unit is only 4 years old.

Russ