Misc: Charging Systems Alton Installation Leading to Oil Leakage

Halfabike

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
A few years ago I replaced the original dynamo on my twin with an Alton generator, since then I have noticed more oil issuing from the opening where the Alton enters the chain case. Comparing the dimensions of the original dynamo and the Alton it appears that there is now more space at the point where the Alton enters, which allows more oil to escape. I am proposing to fashion a neoprene gasket to fit between the Alton and the chain case in an effort to stem the flow. I would welcome any advice from more experienced members. Anthony

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have used a similar closed cell foam ring there for years with success. Others say that the crankcase and primary need to breathe through that joint. Do you have a sealed main bearing?

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Check the oil level in your primary case, just barely at the bottom of the plug is enough, too much oil in there and it will escape as you describe...

Although your forum name is Halfabike I assume this is a twin?

timetraveller

VOC Member
When I supply one of my alternator kits I provide a seal for this area. As all the crank cases are different here I supply a length of soft neoprene 'o' ring material, about 10 mm section which can be cut to length, the ends glued together and fitted into the gap. That is if oil is used in the primary chaincase. If ATF is used then I provide a length of silicon rubber tube which once again has to be cut to length, glued into a ring and then used like an 'o' ring seal. I am not familiar with the Altons but if you need to seal the cone shaped recess in the back of the primary chain case then they range from as cast, to machined to flat and flush faced. You might need to be creative.

Albervin

VOC Member
When I supply one of my alternator kits I provide a seal for this area. As all the crank cases are different here I supply a length of soft neoprene 'o' ring material, about 10 mm section which can be cut to length, the ends glued together and fitted into the gap. That is if oil is used in the primary chaincase. If ATF is used then I provide a length of silicon rubber tube which once again has to be cut to length, glued into a ring and then used like an 'o' ring seal. I am not familiar with the Altons but if you need to seal the cone shaped recess in the back of the primary chain case then they range from as cast, to machined to flat and flush faced. You might need to be creative.
I trust you are healing and feeling well.

erik

VOC Member
If you have the engine standard the primary case will breath through the bearings of the crankcase.Erik

erik

VOC Member
Vincent you are right.There is the tube for the left hand kickstart! And it is a fine job to make two corks to fit.Erik

vibrac

VOC Member
Dont forget the casting for the drive side can have a different pattern where the dynamo fits one is quite a pronounced internal taper how common it is I do not know

oexing

VOC Member
When you can provide some face in the engine you could fit a V-ring on the sprocket hub for axial sealing. This is a clever way to seal components when no concentric seal is possible, like on gearboxes when they are meant to be shifted for chain tensioning. The lip of a v-ring is very soft and it got a dual purpose, sealing with contact on a flat face next to it - plus kind of slinger action from turning with the shaft/hub. No hardened face is required, so you can have it run on alu faces.

Vic
P1090522.JPG