Misc: Charging Systems Alton generator

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This won’t be much help, due to my so-called memory, but I needed to crimp another terminal on my Alton lead and discovered that I had to scrape the insulating enamel off the end of the lead.
My 1999 vintage Alton wasn't showing a charge on the ammeter, so I was steeling myself for buying a new one. Being thrifty, I took the Alton out and trimmed the leads where they had cracked insulation, sanded the ends per the above, and soldered on new terminals. My luck held out and it makes proper amps again!

vibrac

VOC Member
In passing, will a Comet Alton fit a twin and vice versa? I know the direction of rotation doesn't matter because I asked Alton as I am fitting my ex twin Alton in a Mag dynamo setting.

Last edited by a moderator:

erik

VOC Member
I have Altons on my Twin and on the Singles and can see no difference.So it should fit.Erik

craig

VOC Member
I want to charge a Li Shorai LFX18A1-12BS with my 5 year old Alton generator on a Rapide. This Rapide Alton with a Podtronics regulator has been successfully charging a Leoch LP12-7.0 battery.

My understanding is I need 13+ volts (most of the time) to adequately charge a Shorai LFX18A1-12BS.
Is there a special regulator I need to mate with this Alton to produce 13+volts?

PS I have this exact LFX18A1-12BS installed and successfully working for 2 years on a
Norton Mk3 with stock oem charging system, zeners, Lucas, capacitor, OEM Lucas stator/rotor.

oexing

VOC Member
You should have 14 V for any old lead battery anyway, should be allright for lithium types as well. Did you ever check your voltage with an instrument ?

Vic

craig

VOC Member
Started Rapide today, first time with Grosset electric, with Shorai LFX18A1-12BS with my 5 year old Alton generator and Podtronics regulator.
Voltage at Shorai before start 13.63v
Voltage after started and running at idle 13.4v
Voltage when revs at 2000+ was 14.2v, 8amp meter pegged at 8 amps at high RPM.
Several more starts today with a run time of 5 mins each time.
Voltage with engine off was still 13.60v

Since this Shorai battery is a PIA to remove from the Rapide and hook up the official Shorai charger, i am planning to purchase a Battery Tender Li charger for keeping up days between rides ( and doubting my Alton system until proven).

LiBatteryCharger1.jpg
20201102_StarterTest1.jpg

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
I received my new Battery Tender Junior 800mA, $37usd with tax, hooked it up to the Exide encased Shorai battery on the above Rapide and the charger stayed in charge mode (blinking green led) for 45 mins. At the end of charging (solid green led) the Shorai measured 14.15 volts.
This new Shorai battery was being used for test bench starts without proper running for recharging so I knew it would take a longer charge time.

I then hooked this new charger up to my Mk3 Norton (same exact Shorai battery ,2 years old) and obtained a full charge in 15 mins. with 14.3 volts at the end of charge.

Short term (2 days), I am happy with charger.

libatterycharger1-jpg.38447

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
I have used this Battery Tender Junior 800mA for a couple of days on two Shorai batteries, one in an Alton charged 47 Rapide and the other in a 75 Norton Mk3.

I did a number of workbench Grosset electric starts of the Rapide, maybe 4 or 5, shop fan running to cool, but only 5 min runs. reving the throttle at the last of each run to watch the 8-0-8 amp meter peg on 8 amps. i am trying to eliminate oil leaks and tune Amals.
I put the new charger on the Rapide and find that the charge voltage is now 14.8v at the Shorai battery and when the charging is complete, solid green light, remove charger, the voltage at battery is 14.8 volts. However ck the voltage hours later and it is 14.3 volts.

The Mk3 Norton Shorai battery does the exact same thing - charge at 14.8v etc.

Switch the new charger to Lead Acid and put in on a sealed lead acid and the charge voltage is 13.8v.

Just a report you might find informative.

Last edited:

clevtrev

VOC Member
Started Rapide today, first time with Grosset electric, with Shorai LFX18A1-12BS with my 5 year old Alton generator and Podtronics regulator.
Voltage at Shorai before start 13.63v
Voltage after started and running at idle 13.4v
Voltage when revs at 2000+ was 14.2v, 8amp meter pegged at 8 amps at high RPM.
Several more starts today with a run time of 5 mins each time.
Voltage with engine off was still 13.60v

Since this Shorai battery is a PIA to remove from the Rapide and hook up the official Shorai charger, i am planning to purchase a Battery Tender Li charger for keeping up days between rides ( and doubting my Alton system until proven).

View attachment 38447View attachment 38448
Leave the flying lead on the battery.

Last edited by a moderator: