Misc: Charging Systems Alton generator

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Took the Rapide out yesterday with the new Alton fitted and the ammeter is on 0 most of the time. Even when holding a steady 60mph with no lights on.
I have a Lucas Rita ignition fitted. Starting is always good (Grosset starter fitted but I use the kick) but maybe it’s drawing high current so not a lot of charge.
Occasionally the ammeter with show 2-4.

Just wondering if this is how the Podtronics regulator works. Upping the charge when needed.
A fellow Vincent owner says his Rapide ammeter shows a steady 6. May have a BTH mag fitted but not sure.

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
Took the Rapide out yesterday with the new Alton fitted and the ammeter is on 0 most of the time. Even when holding a steady 60mph with no lights on.
I have a Lucas Rita ignition fitted. Starting is always good (Grosset starter fitted but I use the kick) but maybe it’s drawing high current so not a lot of charge.
Occasionally the ammeter with show 2-4.

Just wondering if this is how the Podtronics regulator works. Upping the charge when needed.
A fellow Vincent owner says his Rapide ammeter shows a steady 6. May have a BTH mag fitted but not sure.
if you battery is charged and you're not really drawing any power then it should be showing zero. If you put your lights on and let the bike idle, you should see a discharge, then rev the engine a bit and you should see it go from discharge to charge, that way you know it's all working.

danno

Non-VOC Member
if you battery is charged and you're not really drawing any power then it should be showing zero. If you put your lights on and let the bike idle, you should see a discharge, then rev the engine a bit and you should see it go from discharge to charge, that way you know it's all working.
Thanks, good to know.

Albervin

VOC Member
Started Rapide today, first time with Grosset electric, with Shorai LFX18A1-12BS with my 5 year old Alton generator and Podtronics regulator.
Voltage at Shorai before start 13.63v
Voltage after started and running at idle 13.4v
Voltage when revs at 2000+ was 14.2v, 8amp meter pegged at 8 amps at high RPM.
Several more starts today with a run time of 5 mins each time.
Voltage with engine off was still 13.60v

Since this Shorai battery is a PIA to remove from the Rapide and hook up the official Shorai charger, i am planning to purchase a Battery Tender Li charger for keeping up days between rides ( and doubting my Alton system until proven).

View attachment 38447View attachment 38448
Craig, is that a standard battery box, platform and strap? I am in the process of assembling my Shadow and need to buy a new battery platform.

craig

VOC Member
Craig, is that a standard battery box, platform and strap? I am in the process of assembling my Shadow and need to buy a new battery platform.
Yes , I wanted to hide all the electrics if possible. The battery fits the the standard EXIDE plastic case.
I cut a slot in the battery tray, and a slot in the plastic EXIDE case to allow heavy cables out the bottom and out of view. Starter solenoid and Alton Podtronic voltage regulator mount to bottom of battery tray.

I am not happy with my battery access. I will probably cut the EXIDE case to allow better servicing.

VincentTwinBatTray2.jpg

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Yes , I wanted to hide all the electrics if possible. The battery fits the the standard EXIDE plastic case.
I cut a slot in the battery tray, and a slot in the plastic EXIDE case to allow heavy cables out the bottom and out of view. Starter solenoid and Alton Podtronic voltage regulator mount to bottom of battery tray.

I am not happy with my battery access. I will probably cut the EXIDE case to allow better servicing.

View attachment 39048
Craig,
That looks a good way of hiding the cables but I guess it makes the battery and Exide box awkward to remove.
I use a Shorai in a dummy battery box. The Shorai battery holds the charge for long periods. I have DIN power outlets on my Rapide for GPS, heated gloves, etc. I've put a male plug on the Lithium charger so it is simple to connect for charging. You might be able to do something similar maybe with a smaller type of connector that you could secrete somewhere. The wires don't need to be heavy as the lithium charging current is relatively low.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Voltage at Shorai before start 13.63v
Voltage after started and running at idle 13.4v
Voltage when revs at 2000+ was 14.2v, 8amp meter pegged at 8 amps at high RPM.
Several more starts today with a run time of 5 mins each time.
Voltage with engine off was still 13.60v

Since this Shorai battery is a PIA to remove from the Rapide and hook up the official Shorai charger, i am planning to purchase a Battery Tender Li charger for keeping up days between rides ( and doubting my Alton system until proven).

Would be interesting to see what charge readings I get on my Rapide C with a newly fitted Alton/Podtronics and Lucas Rita ignition.
Recent Yuasa battery fitted too which reads 12.63v at standstill, not running.
Have rarely seen 13+ volts resting on any of my batteries. Maybe after a charge but seems to settle back down.

Did consider changing to a Grosset ignition as I upgraded to the Alton. Anything to help keep a good charge.
Maybe worth it if it’s more efficient.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
The Grosset ignition I find the most economical system that I've tried on my bikes although pulling a high current when engine is not running but just "ready to fire", this position is difficult to find as it is such a short time over the trigger and easing the engine over with exhaust lifter pulled and K/S moving slowly. This is a good thing as several times I've left the bike with ignition on but have found it never stops when pulling current power.
bananaman.