PD: Primary Drive Alton Generator

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
what about using Silicone sealer and Drilling a small hole in a remote place where no oil is thrown to by the chain?
think ahead. Silicon is also a very strong adhesive - so think about how you would go about removing things some time after the silicon sealant has cured!

stu spalding

VOC Member
Speaking of main bearing oil seals, it's a wonder that nobody has come up with an oil seal set up to replace the standard ET19/ET77 scroll items. It looks easy on paper. Just a thought. Cheers, Stu.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
think ahead. Silicon is also a very strong adhesive - so think about how you would go about removing things some time after the silicon sealant has cured!
I think Simon ( Vin998) said he put oil on one side of the joint, let it cure then dismantled to trim up the Silicone & clean the oiled face & you'd end up with a reusable gasket.
Cheers
Dave

Garth Robinson

VOC Member
Speaking of main bearing oil seals, it's a wonder that nobody has come up with an oil seal set up to replace the standard ET19/ET77 scroll items. It looks easy on paper. Just a thought. Cheers, Stu.
I've been using those for many years.Terry Prince used to sell them,they are easy enough to make,the seal is the same as the one in the gearbox cover plate and the inner is dimensionally the same as the scroll. I have also had oil free clutches for the same number of years.Main bearing wear has not been a problem in any of the bikes fitted with them.

stu spalding

VOC Member
I've been using those for many years.Terry Prince used to sell them,they are easy enough to make,the seal is the same as the one in the gearbox cover plate and the inner is dimensionally the same as the scroll. I have also had oil free clutches for the same number of years.Main bearing wear has not been a problem in any of the bikes fitted with them.
Thanks Garth, I didn't realise they existed, they certainly seem like the obvious answer to the problem. Cheers Stu.

oexing

VOC Member
Bruce,
no, these are the screws that hold my version of gear indexing lever.

Vic
P1050797.JPG

danno

Non-VOC Member
Have been reading this post with interest as I’ll be fitting an Alton alternator soon.
May encounter the same issues so this will help.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Hi Dave, my experience is that if one does not seal it then it blows oil out This is with the oil thrower etc all installed. There is another school of thought which is that there has to be a gap there to let the primary chain case breath. One of my bikes has a banjo connection on the oil filler cap on the primary cover so there is no pressure in there
Hi Norman,
I realised I'd been an idiot & had tried to use too small a diameter seal so bought some more of the foam rubber cord to have another go & it works exactly as you said it would.
Cheers
Dave

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Note that the new altons are very well, no internal gears, strait thrue drive.
You can shorten them, to about 40% lenght, as they are hollow.

Only thing is, due to the very strong magnets, it is best to do a steel sprocket, no nylon.
Than there is some momentum in it. at the whole set up is quiet yust over idle rpm.