alton gearbox-oil conversion??

1660bob

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi All, my Alton is new, but an older type, single phase with reduction gearbox.I believe some of these gearboxes have failed, and changing the grease in the box to gear oil is a way to avoid problems.Anyone done this? How is it done and how effective. I do not see any point in installing the unit as supplied if it is worthwhile converting to oil lubing now.All info appreciated, Bob.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
I guess its not the oil or grease, but the inertia, of the alternator, vs, the variation in speeds, so bult in a slipper clutch.
Vincent

1660bob

VOC Member
I was under the impression that the gearing was down i.e. alton rotor speed less than crank speed to avoid such loadings ?? Bob.

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
Bob, whatever you do the nylon gear inside the unit will eventually fail or even fail quite suddenly if you miss a gear when really motoring. i have got round this problem by having some gears made, 2 in bronze and 2 in 4140 alloy steel. I tried one of the bronze gears first, but after over 1000 miles it has yet to fail so I haven't had the chance to evaluate the 4140 type!
good luck
mark

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I got about 3,000 miles from the first set of plastic gears and roughly the same from the second. The alton is sped up by the gearbox,, not slowed down, so it really cranks out a lot of power at low speed. I have the later direct drive Alton on there now, no gear to go wrong, but takes more engine speed to balance the full electrical load.
I recall reading that Marcus Bowden put gear oil in the Alton trans and had gone quite a distance that way. This was a couple of years ago, so perhaps Marcus will post as to whether that unit is still working? The grease soon flings off and then the gears get hot , there goes the teeth. I could see where gear oil might help, but the best might be metal gears of some sort with gear oil as well. Glen

Last edited:

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
sorry, that's three thousand miles from each set of gears. The first set went out close to home, but the second set lost it's grip about 250 miles from home, while on a four day outing. The solution was to purchase a lawn tractor battery and small battery charger. The battery sat in the top box and the charger was plugged in every night. I have a feeling that many others have done this at times as well! Isn't the Craven top box just a giant battery box intended for dead loss motoring?:eek:

Glen

Last edited: